Spring Force and Restoring Motion on XY Plane

In summary, the mass is pulled a distance xo from the equilibrium position and released. The restoring force on the block is proportional to x^3.
yasar1967
A small metal block of mass m is placed on a smooth horizontal table and constrained to move along a frictionless, rectilinear groove, The block is attached to one end of a spring (of spring constant k) whose other end is fastened to a pin P.
Let length L be the equilibrium length of the spring and the perpendicular distance to the groove, The spring is now pulled a distance Xo from the equilibrium position and released. Show that, if the displacement along the groove x « t. the restoring force on
the block is proportional to x ^3 , so the motion is not simple harmonic although it will still be periodic). [Hint: For x « L, x^2 + L^2 "" L + (x^2 /2L).]

General spring and harmonic , periodic motion formulas

I thought the cosine of the F force on the spring is the responsible force i.e. restoring force and sine of F has no importance, therefore Fcosineø = -k x .. but from there I get nowhere :(

Physics news on Phys.org
yasar1967 said:
Hint: For x « L, √(x^2 + L^2) ~ L + x^2/2L.

Hi yasar! :smile:

What diagram have you drawn?

What is the total force in the spring at distance x along the groove?

So what is the component along the groove?

(Hint: cosine ~ x/(L + x^2/2L).)

well, it's from "PHYSICS for Scientists... by Fishbane Gasiorowicz Thornton" Tim, but I don't know how to upload a picture or a diagram :(

If you could imagine it on a xy plane, x being the groove line and L is the distance from P point to the equilibrium at y axis, I fail to see the importance of y-component of F, if any.

ah - I hadn't realized the question provided you with a diagram!

ok - then back to my two questions:

What is the total force in the spring at distance x along the groove?

So what is the component along the groove? :smile:

>What is the total force in the spring at distance x along the groove?
Fx^2+Fy^2=F^2>So what is the component along the groove?
Fx= Fcosineø =F x/d = F x/seqroot(x^2+L^2)

..and the above should equal to (-kx)??

yasar1967 said:
>What is the total force in the spring at distance x along the groove?
Fx^2+Fy^2=F^2

>So what is the component along the groove?
Fx= Fcosineø =F x/d = F x/seqroot(x^2+L^2)

..and the above should equal to (-kx)??

No no no … F isn't a constant, is it? … so that doesn't get you anywhere. :frown:

The question wants you to assume that the spring has a coefficient, of µ, say, and to work out the force as a function of µ.

(When you work out proportionality later on, the µ won't matter).

So what is the total force in the spring at distance x along the groove, in terms of µ? :smile:

it should be -kx cosineø (or -µx cosineø)
then
cosineø being: x/d=x/seqroot(x^2+L^2)
so
F=-(kx^2)/(seqroot(x^2+L^2))??

yasar1967 said:
it should be -kx cosineø (or -µx cosineø)
then
cosineø being: x/d=x/seqroot(x^2+L^2)
so
F=-(kx^2)/(seqroot(x^2+L^2))??

oops … I didn't see the letter k in the question. :redface:

But shouldn't it be k times the increased length of the spring? You've used x, which is only the sideways displacement.

(and don't forget to use the hint formula in the question.)

first of all thank you for the help, I appreciate.
ok, the force on the spring is F=-k(ɅL) (as ɅL is the increased length and if ɅL is zero so the force)
and that force's cosine component makes the mass M moves along the x-axis on the groove:
F=-k(ɅL)cosineø=-k(ɅL)x/seqroot(x^2+L^2)

from here where do I go?

Hi yasar1967! :smile:

(btw, what symbol did you intend to put before the L? It came out as a square on my iMac.)

Well, you were asked to show that the restoring force on the block is proportional to x^3.

So from now on, it's just algebra.

You have force = -k(ɅL)x/√(x^2+L^2)

So now you write ɅL in terms of L and x.

Then you use the hint formula in the question, and you get … ? :smile:

that was meant to be Delta: Ʌ
:)

thanks again for the help

You're very welcome! :smile:

oh, and I get Delta on my iMac by pressing alt-j

Can you read that? (copy it, if you like.)

∆∆∆∆∆∆ :wink:

1. What is the spring force on an XY plane?

The spring force on an XY plane is a type of force that is exerted by a spring when it is stretched or compressed along the XY plane. This force is always directed towards the equilibrium position of the spring and is proportional to the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position.

2. How is the spring force calculated on an XY plane?

The spring force on an XY plane can be calculated using Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. The formula for spring force on an XY plane is F = -kx, where F is the spring force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement from the equilibrium position.

3. What is the relationship between spring force and restoring motion on an XY plane?

The spring force on an XY plane is responsible for restoring the motion of an object to its equilibrium position. As the object moves away from its equilibrium position, the spring force increases, pulling the object back towards its equilibrium position. This relationship between spring force and restoring motion on an XY plane is described by Hooke's Law.

4. How does the spring constant affect the spring force on an XY plane?

The spring constant, denoted by k, is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. A higher spring constant means that the spring is stiffer and requires more force to displace it from its equilibrium position. Therefore, a higher spring constant will result in a larger spring force on an XY plane for the same amount of displacement.

5. What happens to the spring force on an XY plane when the displacement is doubled?

According to Hooke's Law, the spring force on an XY plane is directly proportional to the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. This means that when the displacement is doubled, the spring force will also double. For example, if a spring has a force of 10N when it is displaced by 2 meters, it will have a force of 20N when it is displaced by 4 meters.