Solve Spring on Incline: L, x(c), m, g, θ, μ, & k

In summary, the equation for solving Spring on Incline is F_net = ma = mg(sinθ - μcosθ) - kx. This equation takes into account the force of gravity, the angle of the incline, the coefficient of friction, and the spring constant. The force of gravity can be calculated using the equation Fg = mg, where m is the mass of the object and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²). The coefficient of friction, represented by μ, is a unitless value that represents the amount of resistance between two surfaces in contact. The spring constant, represented by k, is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. The angle of the incline, represented by
PascalPanther
The situation is as follows:

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/a87ac3e9ef.jpg [Broken]
http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/a87ac3e9ef.jpg [Broken]

There is friction, but no friction while in the barrel of the spring gun.

I am suppose to derive an equation to solve for L, using x(c), m, g, theta, mu, and k.

What I did so far:

I did a FBD, I see the following forces:
1. Force of the spring from the spring gun, 2. force of the weight parallel to the plane, 3. force of kinetic friction

U(spring) = 1/2 k*x(c)^2
F(weight) = m*g*sin(theta)
F(friction) = kinetic friction constant* normal force
= mu(k) * m*g*cos(theta)

W=F*s = 1/2 * m*v^2 - 0
F(net) = U - F(w) - F(f)

s = F/W
= [U - F(w) - F(f)] / [(1/2) * m * v^2]
= [(1/2)k*x(c)^2 - (mgsin(theta)) - mu*mgcos(theta))]/ [(1/2)/m*v^2]

Since I can't use v in the equation;
U(spring) = KE = (1/2)k*x^2 = (1/2)m*v^2
v = Sqrt((k*x^2)/m)

L = s
L = [(1/2)k*x(c)^2 - (mgsin(theta)) - mu*mgcos(theta))]/ [(1/2)/m*((k*x^2)/m)]

What did I do wrong here? I think it's more than one thing wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't quite follow what you are doing, but I see some dimensional inconsistencies. For example
F(net) = U - F(w) - F(f)
cannot be. U is an energy and the Fs are forces. These do not add.

You seem to recognize that there is a force in the problem that is going to do work that will take mechanical energy from the mass. That is good. Focus on the mechanical energy. What would happen if there were no friction? What changes when the friction is present?

I think I need to start over.

So there should be two different parts to this problem.
First part, is just inside the spring gun barrel:

U(spring) = (1/2)*k*x^2
U(grav) = sin(theta)mg(-x)

KE = U(spring) + U(grav)
(1/2)*m*v^2 = (1/2)*k*x^2 - sin(theta)mgx

v^2= [(k*x^2)/m] - [2*sin(theta)*g*x]
v(1) = Sqrt([(k*x^2)/m] - [2*sin(theta)*g*x])
Which is the velocity as it exits the gun barrel...

After this it is no longer a spring problem.
If there was no friction, I think it will be just:
K(1) + U(1) = K(2) + U(2)

But there is friction so:
K(1) + U(1) + W(other) = K(2) + U(2)
(1/2)*m*v^2 + 0 + W(other) = 0 + U(2)
(1/2)*m*v^2 + W(other) = m*g*h

W(other) = F(friction)*s
F(friction) = mu*N = mu*(m*g*cos(theta))

I'm a bit confused at this part, I think s = L. But I don't know "h" so I can't solve for W(other) to then use to find s... Am I still going about this wrong?

You are close. There is a simple relationship between your h and L. Look back at what you did when the block was in the gun.

OlderDan said:
You are close. There is a simple relationship between your h and L. Look back at what you did when the block was in the gun.
h is equal to (L+x(c))*sin(theta)? Or is there something else? I don't think I could solve for L if that was the case...

It looks to me that your h is the increase in height relative to the end of the gun, so it would be just
h = L*sin(theta)

(1/2)*m*v^2 + W(other) = m*g*h

(1/2)*m*v^2 + mu*(m*g*cos(theta))*L = m*g*L*sin(theta)

((1/2)*v^2)/L = -mu*(g*cos(theta)) + g*sin(theta)

L/((1/2)*v^2) = 1/(-mu*(g*cos(theta))) + 1/(g*sin(theta))

L = ((1/2)*v^2)/(-mu*(g*cos(theta))) + ((1/2)*v^2)/(g*sin(theta))

Plugging in how I got v... should get me how to find L?

------
I ended up also looking at the hints for this problem, and it gave me after solving the parts:

E(final) - E(initial) = W(friction)

E(final) = m*g*(L + x)*sin(theta)
E(initial) = (1/2)k*x^2
W(friction) = -k.coeff*(m*g*cos(theta))*L

m*g*(L+x)*sin(theta) - (1/2)k*x^2 = -k.coeff*(m*g*cos(theta))*L

Does my other way sound compatible to this way? Is there even a way to solve for L in the hinted way?

Your way was OK, but it was not the most direct way. There was no need to find the velocity at the end of the gun. All that matters is that the differeence between the final gravitaional potential energy and the intial spring potential energy equals the work done against the system by friction. Since you only care about the energies at the beginning and at the end, where the block is not moving, the intermediate velocities are of no concern.

Since my first way produces a huge equation, how would I go about moving the L to one side for the second equation? I think I must be missing some algebra trick. I cannot find a way to get (L-x) and L to work.

PascalPanther said:
Since my first way produces a huge equation, how would I go about moving the L to one side for the second equation? I think I must be missing some algebra trick. I cannot find a way to get (L-x) and L to work.
Expand the term with L+x into two terms using the distributive property. Then group your L terms on one side of the equation and solve for L.

What is the formula for calculating the spring constant (k)?

The formula for calculating the spring constant (k) is k = F/x, where F is the force applied to the spring and x is the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position.

How do you calculate the coefficient of friction (μ) on an inclined plane?

The coefficient of friction (μ) on an inclined plane can be calculated using the formula μ = tan(θ), where θ is the angle of the incline.

What is the relationship between the mass (m) and acceleration (a) of an object on an inclined plane with a spring?

The relationship between the mass (m) and acceleration (a) of an object on an inclined plane with a spring is given by the formula a = (k/m)(Lsinθ - μgcosθ), where L is the length of the spring.

How do you find the displacement (x(c)) of a spring on an inclined plane?

The displacement (x(c)) of a spring on an inclined plane can be found using the formula x(c) = (Lsinθ - μgcosθ)/k, where L is the length of the spring and k is the spring constant.

How does the gravitational acceleration (g) affect the motion of an object on an inclined plane with a spring?

The gravitational acceleration (g) affects the motion of an object on an inclined plane with a spring by providing a force that pulls the object down the incline. This force can be counteracted by the force of the spring, resulting in a slower acceleration or even a state of equilibrium depending on the values of μ and θ.