Calculating Potential Energy on an Incline: Spring and Block System Explained

In summary, a 2.2 kg block is placed on a frictionless 25o incline with a compressed spring with a spring constant of 27.6 N/cm. The elastic potential energy of the compressed spring is 105.122 J. The change in gravitational potential energy of the block Earth system as the block moves from the release point to its highest point on the incline is unknown. The highest point on the incline can be found by either determining the height the block rises above the horizontal or by calculating the length along the incline. This can be done by drawing a freebody diagram and applying the principle of energy conservation.
TraceBusta
A 2.2 kg block is placed against a spring on a frictionless 25o incline (Fig. 8-37). The spring, whose spring constant is 27.6 N/cm , is compressed 27.6 cm and then released.

(a) What is the elastic potential energy of the compressed spring?

(b) What is the change in the gravitational potential energy of the block Earth system as the block moves from the release point to its highest point on the incline?

(c) How far along the incline is the highest point from the release point?

For part a) i got 105.122 J and that was right. I'm having trouble with parts b) and c)

I don't understand how to find the height of the incline. i know u=mgh

Physics news on Phys.org
You're not asket to find the height of the incline. You're asked to find the highest point the block will reach ON the incline.

e(ho0n3 said:
You're not asket to find the height of the incline. You're asked to find the highest point the block will reach ON the incline.

that is what I meant in my question, how to find the heighest point on the incline.

Great since you have no friction, you can apply the principle of energy conservation right away.

You can do (c) two ways: either by finding the height the block rises above the horizontal or by computing the length along the incline directly. What is your specific problem with (c)?

I suggest drawing a freebody diagram showing clearly all the forces which act on the body during its motion along the incline.

Cheers
Vivek

1. What is a spring on an incline?

A spring on an incline refers to a basic physics experiment where a spring is placed on a ramp or incline and the motion of the spring is observed as it is stretched or compressed.

2. What is the purpose of studying spring on incline?

Studying spring on incline allows us to understand the concepts of force, motion, and energy. It also helps us to apply these concepts in real-life situations and make predictions about the behavior of objects on inclined surfaces.

3. How does the angle of the incline affect the spring's motion?

The angle of the incline affects the spring's motion by changing the direction and magnitude of the force acting on the spring. As the angle increases, the force acting on the spring also increases, causing it to stretch or compress more.

4. What is the relationship between the spring constant and the motion of the spring on incline?

The spring constant, which is a measure of the stiffness of the spring, directly affects the motion of the spring on an incline. A higher spring constant means a stiffer spring, which will result in a smaller change in length for a given force, and vice versa.

5. What other factors can influence the motion of a spring on incline?

Other factors that can influence the motion of a spring on incline include the mass of the object attached to the spring, the surface of the incline (friction), and the angle at which the spring is released.