How Does Elevator Motion Affect Spring Oscillation?

In summary, the problem involves a 2.0 kg mass hanging from a harmonic spring with a spring constant of 500 N/m inside an elevator. The spring is stretched by 0.039 m when the elevator is stationary and by 0.052 m when it is rising with a constant upward acceleration of 1/3 g. When the elevator stops, the mass starts to oscillate with an amplitude of 0.01306 m, a frequency of 16.58 rad/sec, and a phase of pi/2. The phase can be calculated using the formula x(0)=A*sin(phi), where x(0) is the amplitude and sin(phi)=1.
clipperdude21
[SOLVED] Spring Oscillation Problem!

1. A 2.0 kg mass hangs at rest from a harmonic spring with a spring constant of 500 N/m inside an elevator that is stationary.
a) by how much is the spring stretched
b) suppose that the elevator is rising with a constant upward accel of 1/3 g. By how much is the spring stretched now.
c) The elevator stops at t=0. You observe that the mass starts to oscillate. What are the ampliturde A, frequency f, and the phase phi of the oscillation.

2. F=ma=kx-mg, phi= inverse tan[ wx(o)/v(0)].

3. I think i got a and b but am confused with c.
a) F=kx-mg.
mg=kx = (2)(9,8)= (500)x
x= 0.039 m
b) ma=kx-mg
(2)(9.8/3)=(500x)-2(9,8)
x=0.052 m.
c) w= sqrt(k/M)= 16.58 rad/sec
x(0)=0.052-0.039=0.01306. I think this is x(0) but what is v(o)?

Physics news on Phys.org
clipperdude21 said:
3. I think i got a and b but am confused with c.

a)F=kx-mg.
mg=kx = (2)(9,8)= (500)x
x= 0.039 m

OK.

b) ma=kx-mg
(2)(9.8/3)=(500x)-2(9,8)
x=0.052 m.
OK.

c) w= sqrt(k/M)= 16.58 rad/sec
x(0)=0.052-0.039=0.01306. I think this is x(0) but what is v(o)?
A = 0.052-0.039=0.01306. (Edited.)

You can find v0 from x0, m, k etc, or not? Any other idea comes to mind?

Last edited:
after thinking about it, i think its easier than i thought. we calculated w. To find the amplitude of the oscillation we take the answer in b and subtract it from a. The phase is then easy to calculate since x(o)=Asin(phi) and if x(o)=amplitude, then sin(phi)=1 and the phase is pi/2

I have edited the answer for (c), because I misunderstood the meaning of x(0). The amplitude in (c) is 0.052-0.039=0.01306.

The rest you know.

1. What is a spring oscillation problem?

A spring oscillation problem is a physics problem that involves the motion of a mass attached to a spring. The mass is pulled or pushed away from its equilibrium position and then released, causing it to oscillate back and forth around the equilibrium point.

2. What is the equation for spring oscillation?

The equation for spring oscillation is F = -kx, where F is the force exerted by the spring, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement from the equilibrium point.

3. How do you calculate the period of a spring oscillation?

The period of a spring oscillation can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass attached to the spring, and k is the spring constant.

4. What factors affect the period of a spring oscillation?

The period of a spring oscillation is affected by the mass attached to the spring, the spring constant, and the amplitude (maximum displacement) of the oscillation. The period remains constant as long as the mass and spring constant are constant.

5. How does damping affect a spring oscillation?

Damping, which is the energy dissipation in a system, can affect a spring oscillation by decreasing the amplitude and increasing the time it takes for the oscillation to come to a stop. This is because damping reduces the energy available to the system, causing it to lose energy and eventually come to rest.