1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spring oscillation

1. Sep 26, 2008 #1
    1. A 0.50 Kilogram block attached to an ideal spring with a spring constant of 80 N/m oscillates on a horizontal frictionless surface. The total mechanical energy 0.12 Joules. What is the greatest speed of the block. If somebody could just point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

2. Fx=kx
    Potential energy in a spring= (1/2)(k)(x2)

3. I don't even know where to start... I think just a little nudge should get me there though. This is our section for conservation of energy, so it's a good bet to think it has something to do with that.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2008 #2
    Conservation of mechanical energy. Does that help?

4. Sep 26, 2008 #3
    I need just a little more than that... I'm kind of slow when it comes to the recent portions of this course.

5. Sep 27, 2008 #4
    When it's asking for the greatest speed of the block, it's asking when is all of the energy of the block converted into kinetic energy?

What is the formula for kinetic energy?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?