Solving Spring Oscillations Homework: Stretched Distance d

In summary, a 0.35 kg mass attached to a vertical spring stretches a distance of d when lowered slowly. The mass undergoes 100 oscillations in 48.9 seconds, with a period of 0.489 seconds. By using the equations T = 2pi (√(m/k)) and F = kx, the spring constant k is found to be 3.45 and the distance x is calculated to be approximately 1. However, the correct answer is 5.94 cm, indicating a mistake in the calculations.
sheepy

Homework Statement

When a mass of 0.35 kg is attached to a vertical spring and lowered slowly, the spring stretches a distance of d. The mass is now displaced from its equilibrium position and undergoes 100 oscillations in 48.9 seconds. WHat is the stretched distance d?

Homework Equations

Number of oscillations/Time = Period (T)
T = 2pi ([tex]\sqrt{m/k}[/tex])
F=kx

The Attempt at a Solution

I found by doing 100/48.9, the period is around 2 oscillations per second.
Using the second equation I figured out that k=3.45 by plugging it all the other variables. Then i know that the F=mg. So mg is 3.43.
3.43/3.45 = x (distance)
The distance comes out to around 1. But my teacher says that 5.94 cm...what did i do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
the period is supposed to be 48.9/100 s

To solve this problem, we can use the equation for the period of a mass-spring system:

T = 2π√(m/k)

We know that the period (T) is 48.9 seconds and the mass (m) is 0.35 kg. We can rearrange the equation to solve for the spring constant (k):

k = (4π²m)/T²

Substituting in the values, we get:

k = (4π² * 0.35 kg) / (48.9 seconds)^2

k = 0.45 N/m

Now, we can use the equation F = kx to solve for the stretched distance (d):

d = F/k

We know that the force (F) is equal to the weight of the mass (mg), so we can substitute in the values:

d = (0.35 kg * 9.8 m/s²) / 0.45 N/m

d = 7.67 m

However, this is the total stretched distance for 100 oscillations. To find the stretched distance for one oscillation, we divide by 100:

d = 7.67 m / 100 = 0.0767 m = 7.67 cm

Therefore, the stretched distance for one oscillation is 7.67 cm, which is close to the value given by your teacher (5.94 cm). It is possible that there was a calculation error or rounding error in your attempt at the solution.

1. What is the formula for calculating the stretched distance (d) in a spring oscillation?

The formula for calculating the stretched distance (d) in a spring oscillation is d = m*g / k, where m is the mass attached to the spring, g is the gravitational acceleration, and k is the spring constant.

2. How do I determine the spring constant (k) for a given spring?

The spring constant (k) can be determined by using the formula k = F/d, where F is the force applied to the spring and d is the resulting displacement. This can be done by conducting an experiment where different forces are applied to the spring and measuring the resulting displacement for each force. The slope of the resulting graph will give you the value of k.

3. What is the relationship between the stretched distance (d) and the frequency of a spring oscillation?

The stretched distance (d) and the frequency of a spring oscillation have an inverse relationship. This means that as the stretched distance increases, the frequency of the oscillation decreases, and vice versa.

4. How does the mass attached to the spring affect the stretched distance (d) in a spring oscillation?

The mass attached to the spring affects the stretched distance (d) by directly influencing the force applied to the spring. As the mass increases, the force applied to the spring also increases, resulting in a greater stretched distance.

5. Can the stretched distance (d) ever be negative in a spring oscillation?

No, the stretched distance (d) cannot be negative in a spring oscillation. This is because the stretched distance is a measure of the displacement from the equilibrium position, which is always a positive value. If the spring is pulled or compressed beyond its equilibrium position, the stretched distance will be equal to zero.