1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spring problem

1. Jun 22, 2006 #1
    how would I set this up: a spring that is .5m in length elongates by .03m when a 4 newton force is exerted to stretch the spring. what is the total length of the spring(in m) when a net 48 newton force is used to stretch the spring?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2006 #2
    F=kx where x is the length of extension, k is the spring constant. From here you can find k right? With the k you can find for the extended length at 48N and not forgetting the original length.
  4. Jun 22, 2006 #3
    k = F/L. that would make k=8?
  5. Jun 22, 2006 #4
    I'm not sure how you got 8 but it's not correct. To find k, F/x => 4/0.03 and so the spring constant is 133.3N/m. From here are you able to continue?
  6. Jun 22, 2006 #5
    o, i c. i was using .5m as x.
  7. Jun 22, 2006 #6
    now that I have the constant, it should look like this:
    48=133.3*x and I solve for x?
  8. Jun 22, 2006 #7
    You canot use 5m to find the spring constant, because at 5m, it is the natural length of th spring, and there is no force acting on it to provide the 5m.

Yes, and this x you get is only the length of extension, and the question wants the total length so I guess it's pretty easy from here!:wink:
  9. Jun 22, 2006 #8
    thanks for your help
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?