1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spring problem

1. Sep 18, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A small steel ball bearing with a mass of 29.0 g is on a short compressed spring. When aimed vertically and suddenly released, the spring sends the bearing to a height of 1.41 m. Calculate the horizontal distance the ball would travel if the same spring were aimed 29.0o from the horizontal.

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok so I know that F = -kx but I don't get k or x in this problem. So I can' use that. Im not really sure where to start with this problem. Do I use F = ma? I still wouldnt be able to get its initial velocity out of that.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2009 #2
    The easiest way to do this problem would be to use energy analysis, do you know how to do that?

4. Sep 19, 2009 #3
    how fast would an object dropped from a height of 1.4 meters be going. now find the horizontal and vertical components of that velocity if aimed at 29 degrees.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook