1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spring problem

1. Feb 9, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A pair of masses M1, M2 is suspended vertically by a pair of spring, with spring constant k1, k2. ( see the attachment for the picture)

a.A downward force F is applied to bottom mass. Find the downward displacements d1 and d 2 of the equilibrium positions of the Mass M1and M2 due to the force. Note that effect of gravity is already taken into account in determing the equilibrium positions.

b.At time t =0, the downward force is removed. What are the equation of motion and initial conditions that determine the displacements d1(t) and d2(t) for t greater than 0? You need not solve the equations.

2. Relevant equations

m2g=k2x2
    k2x2 + m2g+ m1g=k1x1
    then i added them, I get 2m2g +m1g=k1x1

F=-kx

3. The attempt at a solution

m2g=k2x2
    k2x2 + m2g+ m1g=k1x1
    then i added them, I get 2m2g +m1g=k1x1.
    after this, I hav no idea how to solve this! please help!

Attached Files:

• 4.JPG
      4.JPG
      File size:
      6.4 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2010 #2
    Btw, this is a Caltech problem!

4. Feb 10, 2010 #3

jhae2.718

Gold Member

For A, try creating separate free body diagrams for [itex]m_1[/itex] and [itex]m_2[/itex] and finding [itex]\Sigma F_y=F_{app}[/itex]. Then, solve each for [itex]d_1[/itex] and [itex]d_2[/itex].

5. Feb 10, 2010 #4
    a) Both springs will experience force F. Since they are already in equilibrium you can "ignore" the masses.
    [tex] F=k_1d_1[/tex]
    [tex] F=k_2d_2[/tex]
    b) Simple SHM equations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook