1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spring problem

1. Oct 1, 2004 #1
    a block of mass M is held on a horizontal table against a compressed horizontal (massless) spring. When released from rest, the block is launched along the tabletop and eventually comes to a stop after sliding a total distance L. The initial spring compression is x_0 and the spring constant is K. Calculate teh coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the ttable top in terms of the variables M, L, K, and X_0.

Im lost. I know F=ma. I know x_0*k is the force the spring is dishing out. I know that the frictional force is Mu*M*g. I tried to put it together with v^2 = v_0^2 + 2aD. The problem with that is I dont know the initial velocity.

How do I use X_0*K to calculate velocity?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Use an equation relating the mechanical energy of the system at 2 different places and the work of friction done over that interval.
  4. Oct 1, 2004 #3
    Could you walk me through that . . . I'm still lost.
  5. Oct 1, 2004 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

OK, let's start with Newton's 2.law, and derive the energy equation.
    1.Newton's 2.law
    Here, "x" is the compressed length of the spring, and
    ([tex]t_{L}[/tex] is the time when the system stops; when a distance L has been traversed)
    [tex]-\mu{Mg}[/tex] is the frictional force, whereas a is the acceleration of the system.

2. Derivation of energy equation
    We a) multiply the above equation with velocity v, and
    b) integrate from t=0 to [tex]t=t_{L}[/tex]:
    a) [tex]-Kxv-\mu{Mg}v=Mav[/tex]
    b) [tex]-\frac{K}{2}x(t=t_{L})^{2}+\frac{K}{2}x(t=0)^{2}-\mu{MgL}=\frac{M}{2}(v(t=t_{L})^{2}-v(t=0)^{2})[/tex]
    Or, by recognizing:
    we gain by rearranging:
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?