Solving for Max Compression: 0.2kg Spring

In summary: OH LOL ! WHen its at the maximum it doesn't move anymore ! I guess that me and my brain who are tired today ! thank you!
astrololo

Homework Statement

A bloc of 0,2 kg is attached to a spring on a horizontal surface with no friction. (The other side of the spring is attached to a wall, so it doesn't move) The spring constant is 5 N/m. If we pull on the spring, we move it by 0,12 m from its natural position and we let it go after that (It has an initial speed of 0 m/s) What is the speed when we have a maximal compression

Homework Equations

U=1/2*k*e^2
Kf+Uf=Ki+Ui

The Attempt at a Solution

I get the following equation : 0,2v^2 + 5e^2 = 0,072

I don't know what is the maximal compression !

Physics news on Phys.org
astrololo said:

Homework Statement

A bloc of 0,2 kg is attached to a spring on a horizontal surface with no friction. (The other side of the spring is attached to a wall, so it doesn't move) The spring constant is 5 N/m. If we pull on the spring, we move it by 0,12 m from its natural position and we let it go after that (It has an initial speed of 0 m/s) What is the speed when we have a maximal compression

Homework Equations

U=1/2*k*e^2
Kf+Uf=Ki+Ui

The Attempt at a Solution

I get the following equation : 0,2v^2 + 5e^2 = 0,072

I don't know what is the maximal compression !
If the compression is maximal, how much more compression can there be? :wink:

gneill said:
If the compression is maximal, how much more compression can there be? :wink:
Well 0...

astrololo said:
Well 0...
Right. So in that instant, what is the block doing? Can it continue to move to compress the spring?

gneill said:
Right. So in that instant, what is the block doing? Can it continue to move to compress the spring?
At that moment, the spring is pushing against the bloc to the right. I just don't know what is the position at the maximum. I know tha tmy natural position is 0.

astrololo said:
At that moment, the spring is pushing against the bloc to the right.
Yes, but what is the block doing in that instant?

gneill said:
Yes, but what is the block doing in that instant?
Ehhhhh... I think it has something do with speed ?

astrololo said:
Ehhhhh... I think it has something do with speed ?
Yes. Think it through. The block moves, compressing the spring until it can't compress it any further. That's maximal compression. So the block's speed at that instant is...?

gneill said:
Yes. Think it through. The block moves, compressing the spring until it can't compress it any further. That's maximal compression. So the block's speed at that instant is...?
It's 0 ? But I don't understand why...

astrololo said:
It's 0 ? But I don't understand why...
Okay, here's an analogy. You throw a ball straight up in the air. What is the speed of the ball when it reaches is maximal height?

gneill said:
Okay, here's an analogy. You throw a ball straight up in the air. What is the speed of the ball when it reaches is maximal height?
Its gooing to be 0 because the ball needs negative speed to go down.

So when the block reaches the maximal compression of the spring...

Likes astrololo
gneill said:
So when the block reaches the maximal compression of the spring...
OH LOL ! WHen its at the maximum it doesn't move anymore ! I guess that me and my brain who are tired today ! thank you!

1. How do you calculate the maximum compression of a 0.2kg spring?

The maximum compression of a spring can be calculated using the formula C = (F/k), where C is the maximum compression, F is the force applied to the spring, and k is the spring constant. In this case, the maximum compression of a 0.2kg spring can be found by solving for C in the equation C = (F/0.2).

2. What is the spring constant of a 0.2kg spring?

The spring constant, represented by the letter k, is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It is typically measured in units of Newtons per meter (N/m). The spring constant of a 0.2kg spring can be determined by dividing the force applied to the spring by its maximum compression. In this case, the spring constant would be represented as k = (F/C).

3. What is the maximum weight that can be supported by a 0.2kg spring?

The maximum weight that can be supported by a 0.2kg spring depends on the spring constant, as well as the desired level of compression. In order to determine the maximum weight, the spring constant and maximum compression must be known. Using the formula W = (kC), where W is the maximum weight and C is the maximum compression, the maximum weight that can be supported can be calculated.

4. How does the material of the spring affect its maximum compression?

The material of a spring can affect its maximum compression due to variations in stiffness and elasticity. Different materials have different spring constants, which can impact the amount of force required to compress the spring to its maximum potential. Materials with higher spring constants will require more force to reach the same level of compression as materials with lower spring constants.

5. What is the significance of finding the maximum compression of a spring?

The maximum compression of a spring is an important factor to consider in various applications, as it can determine the amount of force or weight that the spring can support before reaching its limit. It is also useful in engineering and design processes, as it allows for the selection of appropriate springs for specific tasks or projects. Additionally, understanding the maximum compression of a spring can help prevent damage or failure due to overloading.