Solving for Maximum Spring Length With a Dropped Clay Ball

In summary, a massless pan is suspended from a spring attached to the ceiling. When empty, the pan hangs 50cm below the ceiling. Adding a 100g clay ball causes the pan to hang 60cm below the ceiling. To determine the distance of the pan from the ceiling when the spring reaches its maximum length, the final velocity of the ball is first calculated using gravitational potential energy. The spring constant is then found using the weight of the ball in the pan. Finally, the potential energy of the spring can be calculated using the formula W = \frac{1}{2}kx^2.
maki
A massless pan hangs from a spring that is suspended from the ceiling. When empty, the pan is 50cm below the ceiling. If a 100g clay ball is placed gently on the pan, the pan hangs 60cm below the ceiling. Suppose the clay ball is dropped from the ceiling onto an empty pan. What is the pan's distance from the ceiling when the spring reaches its maximum length?

I figured I'd start by finding the final velocity of the ball using the gravitational potential energy.
Ugi=mgy
Ugi=(0.100kg)(9.8m/s)(0.5m)
Ugi=0.49 J
Ugf=0 J
Vf=sqrt[(-2 * (Ugf - Ugi)) / m]
Vf=sqrt[(-2 * -0.49) / 0.5)]
Vf=sqrt(1.96)
Vf=1.4 m/s

Next, I found the spring constant (k) using the stationary weight of the ball in the pan.
Fsp=mg
Fsp=(0.1)(9.8)=.98 N
Fsp=k*(Delta S, or change in spring length)
.98 N=k*0.1
k=9.8

Now I'm stuck, can't seem to find the right formula to use to get any farther, I should have just the one more step I think. If someone could post a formula or explain where I need to go next I would appreciate it. I have a lab in 15 minutes, but I'll be back after that to work on this some more.

Thanks (=

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Potential energy of a spring:
[tex]W = \frac{1}{2}kx^2[/tex]

Thank you for sharing your work and thought process so far. To solve for the maximum length of the spring, we need to use the concept of conservation of energy. The energy of the system (spring, pan, and ball) remains constant throughout the motion, so we can equate the initial energy to the final energy.

Let's start by finding the initial energy of the system when the ball is dropped onto the pan. At the point of impact, the ball has a kinetic energy of 1/2mv^2, where m is the mass of the ball and v is its final velocity (which you have already calculated). The pan, being massless, does not contribute to the system's energy. Therefore, the initial energy of the system is just the kinetic energy of the ball, which is 1/2(0.1kg)(1.4m/s)^2 = 0.098 J.

Now, let's find the final energy of the system when the spring reaches its maximum length. At this point, the ball has zero velocity, so its kinetic energy is zero. The spring, however, has potential energy due to its stretched length. The potential energy of a spring is given by 1/2kx^2, where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement from its equilibrium position. In this case, the displacement of the spring is the maximum length it reaches, and we'll call it x_max. Therefore, the final energy of the system is 1/2kx_max^2.

Since the initial and final energies are equal, we can set them equal to each other and solve for x_max:

0.098 J = 1/2(9.8 N/m)(x_max)^2

x_max = sqrt(0.098 J / 4.9 N/m) = 0.2 m

Therefore, the maximum length of the spring is 0.2 m, which means the pan will be 0.2 m + 0.5 m = 0.7 m from the ceiling when the spring reaches its maximum length.

I hope this helps and good luck with your lab!

1. What is the purpose of solving for maximum spring length with a dropped clay ball?

The purpose of solving for maximum spring length with a dropped clay ball is to understand the relationship between the height at which the clay ball is dropped and the maximum length the spring will stretch to. This can provide insights into the spring's elasticity and help design more efficient springs for various applications.

2. How is the maximum spring length calculated?

The maximum spring length is calculated using the equation L = h + d, where L is the maximum length, h is the height at which the clay ball is dropped, and d is the initial length of the spring. This assumes that the spring is experiencing ideal conditions and follows Hooke's Law.

3. What factors can affect the maximum spring length?

The maximum spring length can be affected by several factors, including the weight and material of the clay ball, the initial length and elasticity of the spring, and any external forces acting on the spring during the drop. Air resistance and friction can also play a role in the spring's maximum length.

4. How is the maximum spring length experimentally determined?

The maximum spring length can be experimentally determined by dropping a clay ball from different heights and measuring the maximum length of the spring each time. This data can then be used to plot a graph and determine the relationship between the height and maximum length of the spring.

5. What are the real-world applications of solving for maximum spring length with a dropped clay ball?

Understanding the maximum spring length can be useful in designing and optimizing springs for various applications, such as in mechanical systems, toys, and sports equipment. It can also provide insights into the properties of different materials and their elasticity. Additionally, this concept can be applied to other scenarios involving elastic objects and their maximum length under certain conditions.