Help a Sinking Physics Student: Maximum Energy & Velocity Problems

• Thread starter ph0bolus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spring
In summary: I think you might have made a mistake somewhere. I get x = 0.005 m.You will need to show your work for me to be able to help you.
ph0bolus

Homework Statement

1)
A 1.10 kg mass on a spring oscilates horizontally with little friction according to the following equation: x=0.050cos(2.9t), where x is in meters and t in seconds. Find the maximum energy stored in the spring during an oscillation.

2)
Find the maximum velocity of the mass.

3)
A 55.0 kg circus performer oscillates up and down at the end of a long elastic rope at a rate of once every 9.80 s. The elastic rope obeys Hooke's Law. By how much is the rope extended beyond its unloaded length when the performer hangs at rest?

Homework Equations

I think for all problems i use an equation dealing with X=Acos(wt) where w is angular freq.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've attempted the problem trying to figure out what goes where, but nothing adds up. I know the mass and time for number 1 since it's given, but what to do from there?

For problem #2 to get the maximum velocity i should use v=square root(k/m)A, but i don't know what the amplitude is.

#3 i don't even know where to get started.

If anyone could help a sinking physics student out it would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
For number 1 you need to know what the energy stored in a spring is. Simply the maximum energy stored will be when it is stretched or compressed to its fullest. In other words when cos(2.9t)=+/-1.

I'm sure you're aware that velocity is the time derivative of position. And in a similar way to question 1 when will velocity be maximum?

For question 3 do you know what Hooke's law is? If you do you basically have to determine the spring constant of the elastic cord. Do you know an equation that relates the time period the mass and the spring constant?

For number 1 i think you're going to have to explain it a little bit more because i don't know how to work it out. So since the maximum energy stored is when it's stretched or compressed the time would have to be equal to 0 is that what you're saying?

Number 2 would the maximum velocity be when the spring is in movement? Probably not right, but if it is which equation would i use to solve for it?

3 Hookes law is f=-kx, but how do i get the spring constant if x isn't given?

For number 1. Energy stored in a spring is [itex]\frac{1}{2} k x^2[/itex]. x is going to be maximum when cos(2.9t) = 1 which will give you the maximum stored energy per oscillation. You will need to find the spring constant from the angular frequency. What equations have you been given for that?

The maximum velocity occurs when the mass is at the equilibrium point. The question will be similar to question 1. I'm assuming you understand:

[tex] v = \frac{dx}{dt} [/tex]

For part 3 you are given the time period of the oscillation. are you familiar with:

[tex] T = 2\pi \sqrt{\frac{m}{k}} [/tex] ?

angular frequency= square root(k/m) would that be the equation I'm using?

for #2 would the equation look something like this? -Aw*sin(wt)?

i found that the spring constant= 133.79 n/m so then i plugged it into -kx=mg to try and find x and got 4.03..that's wrong right?

Last edited:
ph0bolus said:
angular frequency= square root(k/m) would that be the equation I'm using?
Yes that is what you would use.

for #2 would the equation look something like this? -Aw*sin(wt)?

Yes you are correct.

i found that the spring constant= 133.79 n/m so then i plugged it into -kx=mg to try and find x and got 4.03..that's wrong right?

Yes that's different to what I get.

1. What is maximum energy and velocity in physics?

Maximum energy and velocity in physics refer to the highest possible energy and velocity that a system or object can achieve. This is typically calculated using the laws of physics, such as the conservation of energy and momentum.

2. How are maximum energy and velocity related?

In many cases, maximum energy and velocity are directly related. This means that as the velocity of an object increases, its energy also increases. This relationship is described by the kinetic energy equation, E = 1/2mv^2, where E is energy, m is mass, and v is velocity.

3. What are some examples of maximum energy and velocity problems?

Some common examples of maximum energy and velocity problems include calculating the maximum speed of a projectile launched from a certain height, determining the maximum energy output of a roller coaster, and finding the maximum velocity of a car on a curved track.

4. How do you solve maximum energy and velocity problems?

To solve maximum energy and velocity problems, you will need to use the relevant equations from physics, such as the kinetic energy equation or the conservation of energy equation. You will also need to identify and use any given information, such as mass, height, and initial velocity.

5. What are some common mistakes when solving maximum energy and velocity problems?

Some common mistakes when solving maximum energy and velocity problems include forgetting to convert units, using incorrect equations, and not properly considering all relevant forces and factors. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem and double check your calculations for accuracy.