1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spring Pushing Two Masses

1. Oct 28, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Question statement:
    An object of mass m1 = 9.00 kg is in equilibrium while connected to a light spring of constant s = 100 N/m that is fastened to a wall as shown in (figure a):
    twoBlocksSpring01.png
    A second object, m2 = 7.00 kg, is slowly pushed up against m1, compressing the spring by the amount A = 0.200 m (figure b). The system is then released, and both objects start moving to the right on the frictionless surface.

A- When m1 reaches the equilibrium point, m2 loses contact with m1 (figure c) and moves to the right with speed v. Determine the value of v.
    B- How far apart are the objects when the spring is fully stretched for the first time (figure d)?

2. Relevant equations
    T= 0.5mv²
    E_tot= 0.5sA²
    v_max= Aω

3. The attempt at a solution
    Okay, so the amplitude for the coupled system is 0.2 metres. The angular frequency of them both is:
    ω= √(s/(m1+m2)) = √(100/(16)) = 2.5/s

The velocity of the second mass would equal the maximum velocity reached by the two objects as they pass the equilibrium point, so:
    v_max= Aω= 0.2*2.5 = 0.5m/s

So far so good, now the part which I'm unsure of:
    To figure out the distance between them, first I calculated how far the spring will get stretched after m2 loses contact with m1.
    1- I calculated T for m1:
    T1= 0.5m1v² = 0.5*9*(0.5)^2= 1.125J

2- I used conservation of energy to calculate A:
    E1_tot= T1 and so,
    A= √(2T/s) = √(2*1.125/100) = 0.15m
    [This turned out to be less than 0.2m, is that even logical? I mean, the amplitude decreased after m2 broke free. I imagine it should increase.. even though it looks smaller in the figure.]

3- I calculated the time needed for m1 to reach that position:
    τ= 2∏/ω1 = 2∏√(m1/s) = 2∏√(9/100) = 1.88s for a whole cycle.
    And so, the time for a quarter of a cycle would be:
    1.88/4 = 0.47s

4- I calculated the distance travelled by m2:
    d= vt = 0.5*0.47 = 0.235m

5- I subtracted the amplitude of m1 from the distance travelled by m2 to obtain D.
    D= 0.235-0.15 = 0.085m.

Anything wrong with what I did?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2011 #2
    I assume the amplitude decreased because the system lost part of its energy as m2 broke free, and so, it would make sense.. correct me if I'm wrong, please.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook