Calculating Force Constant of a Spring: A Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter aishax
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spring
In summary, the conversation discusses the method for calculating the force constant of a spring that is suspended from a ceiling and has a mass attached to it. The method involves using the conservation of energy and the formula for potential energy to find the force constant. The conversation also mentions an alternative method using the formula Fs = -kx, but it is deemed more difficult and prone to errors. The summary concludes with a confirmation of the correctness of the method discussed.
aishax
A spring is suspended from a celing and a 0.256-kg mass is attatched to it and pulled down to stretch the spring by 0.182 m. The mass is released and travels through the equilibrium position with a speed of 0.746 m/s. Calculate the force constant on the spring.

I'm not really sure how to tackle this question.
What I ended up trying was looking at the two points being addressed (the point where the spring is stretched 0.182 meters downwards, and the equilibrium).

Using the conservation of energy, I put the equation:

E total1 = E total2

(Where E total1 is at the point where the spring is stretched, and E total2 is the point at which the spring passes the equilibrium)

I then put:

Ep + Ek + Ee = Ep + Ek + Ee

I canceled out Ep ( because h = 0), and Ek (because v = 0) on the left side of the equation. I canceled out Ee on the right side of the equation because x = 0. The equation became:

Ee = Ep +Ek

So far, am I on the right track, or is what I did completely wrong? Could this question be done a simplier way using the formula: Fs = -kx ?

Help is very much appreciated :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
aishax said:
A spring is suspended from a celing and a 0.256-kg mass is attatched to it and pulled down to stretch the spring by 0.182 m. The mass is released and travels through the equilibrium position with a speed of 0.746 m/s. Calculate the force constant on the spring.

I'm not really sure how to tackle this question.
What I ended up trying was looking at the two points being addressed (the point where the spring is stretched 0.182 meters downwards, and the equilibrium).

Using the conservation of energy, I put the equation:

E total1 = E total2

(Where E total1 is at the point where the spring is stretched, and E total2 is the point at which the spring passes the equilibrium)

I then put:

Ep + Ek + Ee = Ep + Ek + Ee

I canceled out Ep ( because h = 0), and Ek (because v = 0) on the left side of the equation. I canceled out Ee on the left
you mean rightside of the equation because x = 0. The equation became:

Ee = Ep +Ek

So far, am I on the right track, or is what I did completely wrong?
it is completely right
Could this question be done a simplier way using the formula: Fs = -kx ?
This would be a much harder way to solve it, with errors guaranteed!

At the point where it is stretched fully all the energy is in the form of potential energy. At the equilibrium point all energy in Kinetic.

Let's start at the equilibrium. Energy is all Kinetic so..
E=(1/2)mv^2
E=(1/2)(0.256)0.746^2
E=.0712

Now since that energy is conserved the energy at the equilibrium point should be the same as at the beginning when it is stretched however it is in the form of potential energy. So...

E=(1/2)Ks*S^2
.0712=(1/2)Ks*(.182)^2
Ks=.0712/[(1/2)(.182)^2]
Ks=4.301

Hope I did that all right. If not hopefully it at least helps you out some.

Phew, good to know I'm getting somewhere. Thanks PhanthomJay!
And thank you for your input Kreamer! You just forgot to include elastic potential energy :)

I had a feeling I was forgetting something. We just learned about all that recently as well so I don't claim to be an expert ;) glad I could help though!

1. How do I calculate the force constant of a spring?

To calculate the force constant of a spring, you will need to measure the displacement of the spring and the applied force. Once you have these measurements, you can use the formula K = F/x, where K is the force constant, F is the applied force, and x is the displacement of the spring.

2. What units are used for the force constant?

The force constant is typically measured in units of newtons per meter (N/m).

3. Can the force constant of a spring change?

Yes, the force constant of a spring can change depending on factors such as the material of the spring, the temperature, and the amount of stretching or compression.

4. What is the significance of calculating the force constant of a spring?

The force constant is an important parameter in understanding the behavior of a spring. It can help predict the amount of force needed to stretch or compress a spring, and it is also used in calculations for oscillatory motion and energy conservation.

5. What are some common uses for the force constant of a spring?

The force constant of a spring is used in a variety of applications, including in mechanical systems such as car suspensions and in scientific experiments involving springs, such as in Hooke's Law experiments.