1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spring question

1. Dec 16, 2004 #1
    there's a 3kg mass on a 30 degree frictionless incline. The mass travels d distance and hits a spring with k=400N/m. The spring contracts 0.2 m and brings the block to a stop.

I need to find the distance the block traveled.

F=kx
    F=400*.2
    F=80N

so the block has to hit with 80N.
    what formula would I use to get distance? I am confused because if I used any energy formula (which I know I will have to) the question is in Joules instead of Newtons. What should I do?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2004 #2
    You can solve this with energy.
    At any point on the block's path you can find its energy with the equation
    [tex] E = .5kx^2 + .5mv^2 + mgy [/tex]

Consider when the spring has been fully compressed to be y=0. Can you do it from there? Note: y does not equal d.

4. Dec 16, 2004 #3
    are you saying that:
    E=80N+.5mv^2 ?

5. Dec 16, 2004 #4
    Heres the easiest way to solve the problem:
    We know the spring compressed .2 meters. How much energy did the block impart to the spring to do this? We can find out using the potential energy of a spring formula [tex] E = .5kx^2 [/tex] Under the conservation of energy, the potential energy of the block at the top of the ramp must be equal to the PE of the spring. Use [tex] E = mgy [/tex] to find y and then use trigonometry to find the hypotonuese of the triangle.
    Remember : the key to sucsess in physics is thinking; not memorizing how to do every possible problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?