1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spring / ramp energy problem

1. Mar 12, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 200-g block is pressed against a spring of force constant 1.40 kN/m until the block compresses the spring 10.0 cm. The spring rests at the bottom of the ramp inclined at 60.0deg to the horizontal.

Using energy considerations, determine how far up the incline the block moves before it stops (a) if there is no friction between the block and the ramp and (b) if the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.400.

2. Relevant equations

Delta KE = Delta PE

3. The attempt at a solution

Okay, since the system is conservered with no fricition, I can assume that
    initial energy = final energy, and we can rewrite it as
    PE initial (of the block at the highest point) = KE final (of the spring as it gets compressed for 0.01 meter)

PE initial = KE final
    X is the length the block travels from its original position
    (mg*sin60 * X) = 1/2 * k * (0.01m^2)

And then I was wondering why do we assume that the initial KE of the block is zero? The problem did not state that there was no initial velocity for the block.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2010 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Energy store in the spring is
    E = 1/2*k*x^2.
    When the block detaches from the spring, stored energy in the spring in converted into PE and KE. The PE is m*g*x*sinθ, where x is the compression of the spring.
    Now you get the initial velocity. final velocity is zero. Find the distance traveled by the block along the ramp.

4. Mar 12, 2010 #3
    hi, thanks. i was so dump did not consider its reverse condition.
    thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook