Exploring Weight Measurement: Understanding a Spring Scale Question

In summary, if two 100-N weights are attached to a horizontal spring scale, the scale will read 200 N. This is because the weights are providing equal and opposite forces, causing the spring to stretch and read the combined force of 200 N. This is assuming the scale is a simple, graduated spring that stretches by the gravitational force on a mass. If the scale is attached to a horizontal platform and the weights are hanging vertically, the scale will also read 200 N. However, if the scale is attached to a horizontal platform and the weights are attached on either end with ropes hanging off the ends of the platform, the scale will read 100 N. This is because the two weights are providing equal and opposite forces, balancing each
Francis Oliver
If two 100-N weights were attached to a horizontal spring scale would the scale read 0, 100, or 200 N, or would it give some other reading?

Physics news on Phys.org
it would read equal

IF IT HAS NEWTONS AS UNITS THEN A horizontal spring scale would read 200 N

Ordinary scales have KGs or LBs. So Newtons need to be converted to KGs or LBs.

Last edited:
Please explain how you arrived at 200N.

The question doesn't say that the weights are placed at opposite ends. If you place 200N on the same side then that's what you'll "read": 200N.

But it does say that the spring is horizontal! Assuming this is just a simple, graduated, spring that stretches by the gravitational force on a mass, since it is horizontal there is no gravitational force and it will read 0!

Do you think it's a "vertical" spring scale being held horizontally? I now realize that when I wrote my first post I replaced "horizontal" with "vertical" in my mind. Then I thought, "what's the point of holding it horizontally, maybe they meant a counter scale (see attached image)." But maybe not?

Site I downloaded the image from. Look under "Commercial" then "Counter scales."

Last edited:
That's a balance scale. It has no springs at all!

I really have no idea what the original problem actually said or intended. I would like to see the exact wording. The original post did specifically say "horizontal spring scale". I can only conclude that it simply isn't going to register any weight at all!

I suppose it could be a spring attached to the wall, set on a horizontal platform but with the weights to be measured hanging vertically. If that's the case, then it would measure 200 N.

Without knowing exactly what the situation is, my best guess based on the wording of the original post is that the spring is sitting on a horizontal platform as are the "weights" and so there is no extension- the spring reads 0.

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
That's a balance scale. It has no springs at all!
I guess that's right. Again I had pictured mentally that it (or some version of it) could have springs under each pan, but apparently not.
Without knowing exactly what the situation is, my best guess based on the wording of the original post is that the spring is sitting on a horizontal platform as are the "weights" and so there is no extension- the spring reads 0.
"I'm with you."

Hello,
Thanks a ton for all of your help. I should have been more specific though because the question is actually based off of a picture. It’s a horizontal spring scale lieing on a table with the weights attached at each end with ropes hanging off the ends of the table so that the scale is in the middle. So with that would it be 200? Really sorry about the confusion.

Given this description, my answer would be 200N, or the Kg or Lb equivalent.

Aha! Yes, in that case, the spring would read 200 N. It is exactly the same as if the scale were attached to the ceiling and both weights were attached to the bottom. There would still be 200 N tension in the spring.

Nothing to say 'Aha'. The two weights are each of 100N and attached on each end creating tension of 100N in each string and hence the reading is 100N.
Just think you are pulling a spring from only one end. It will not get extended. To get the spring stretched we require force on either end of the spring and both are equal. These balancing forces produce elongation in the spring.
In case of vertically suspended spring one force is the weight and the other force is applied by the ceiling, which is equal and opposite. Here the two weights are providing the two forces to elongate the spring and hence the tension is 100N everywhere and the reading will be 100N.

mukundpa said:
Nothing to say 'Aha'. The two weights are each of 100N and attached on each end creating tension of 100N in each string and hence the reading is 100N.
Just think you are pulling a spring from only one end. It will not get extended. To get the spring stretched we require force on either end of the spring and both are equal. These balancing forces produce elongation in the spring.
In case of vertically suspended spring one force is the weight and the other force is applied by the ceiling, which is equal and opposite. Here the two weights are providing the two forces to elongate the spring and hence the tension is 100N everywhere and the reading will be 100N.
:yuck: :yuck:

please see the attachment
I think this was your question

Attachments

• spring balance.doc
    20.5 KB · Views: 1,535
mukundpa said:

Yes, how foolish of me!

mukundpa, I am sorry I don't "get" it: why would you read 100 and not 200N ? If two persons are tugging at a rope with 100N force each, isn't the tension 200N?

No, If the tension in the string will be 200N on that end of the string a net force of 100N will act resulting acceleration.
The tension in a string is balancing the force on either side of the system if it is not accelerating.
Please see the attached diagram.

HallsofIve
sorry, I was not meaning that, I only thought that you people are closing the thread.

Last edited:

1. What is a spring scale?

A spring scale is a device used to measure weight or force. It works by using the principle of Hooke's law, which states that the force needed to extend or compress a spring is directly proportional to the distance the spring is stretched or compressed. A spring scale typically consists of a coiled spring attached to a hook, with a pointer or digital display that indicates the weight or force applied to the spring.

2. How does a spring scale work?

A spring scale works by measuring the amount of force needed to compress or stretch a spring. When an object is placed on the hook of the spring scale, the force of the object's weight causes the spring to compress or stretch. This change in the length of the spring is then converted into a weight measurement, either through a pointer on a scale or a digital display.

3. What are the advantages of using a spring scale?

Spring scales are relatively simple and inexpensive compared to other types of weight measurement devices. They are also portable and can be easily carried around for use in different locations. Additionally, spring scales do not require batteries or electrical power, making them reliable and easy to use.

4. How accurate are spring scales?

The accuracy of a spring scale depends on its design and quality. Higher quality spring scales typically have a smaller margin of error and can provide more precise weight measurements. However, spring scales are not as accurate as other types of weight measurement devices, such as electronic scales, which can measure weight to the nearest gram.

5. How can I calibrate a spring scale?

To calibrate a spring scale, you will need a known weight, such as a standard weight set or a calibrated object. Place the known weight on the hook of the spring scale and adjust the scale until the pointer or digital display shows the correct weight. Repeat this process with different known weights to ensure the accuracy of the scale. It is recommended to calibrate a spring scale regularly to maintain its accuracy.