Calculating Spring Compression from 1m Jump on Scale

In summary: Happens to the best of us.In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the reading on a bathroom scale when a person jumps on it from a height of 1m. The method involves using Hooke's law and conservation of mechanical energy. The question asks for the reading on the scale, not the compression of the spring. The answer in the book is 4.2*10^4, which may be due to a small arithmetic error or confusion with units.
ace123
If you stand on a bathroom scale, spring inside compresses .6mm, and tells your weight is 710 N. Now if you jump on the scale from a height of 1m, what does the read at it's peak?

This is what I tried to do:

I used Hooke's law: F[tex]_{}s[/tex]= k*x
and solved for the k which is spring constant.

Then I wasn't too sure of how to find the spring compression when he jumps from a height of 1m. I tried to use conservation of mechanical energy:

I did the potential energy of the the guy at 1m and set it equal to the kinetic energy when he hits the scale.

I then set up another conservation of mechanical energy for the scale. Which was Kinetic energy equal to the compression 1/2kx^2.

This is wrong however and I have no clue what else to try.

Thanks for the help

Physics news on Phys.org
ace123 said:
If you stand on a bathroom scale, spring inside compresses .6mm, and tells your weight is 710 N. Now if you jump on the scale from a height of 1m, what does the read at it's peak?

This is what I tried to do:

I used Hooke's law: F[tex]_{}s[/tex]= k*x
and solved for the k which is spring constant.

Then I wasn't too sure of how to find the spring compression when he jumps from a height of 1m. I tried to use conservation of mechanical energy:

I did the potential energy of the the guy at 1m and set it equal to the kinetic energy when he hits the scale.

I then set up another conservation of mechanical energy for the scale. Which was Kinetic energy equal to the compression 1/2kx^2.

This is wrong however and I have no clue what else to try.

Thanks for the help
Your method seems correct to me, however there is no need for the intermediate step you can just jump straight to setting the gravitational potential energy equal to the potential energy stored in the spring.

Note however, that the question asks for the reading on the scale, not the compression of the spring.

I understand that so after I find the compression of the spring i should multiply it by the spring constant. Correct? I threw in the intermediate step because I wasn't sure if you could jump from the gravitational potential energy straight to the spring.

Prehaps I made a mathematical mistake. Let me check it again.

ace123 said:
I understand that so after I find the compression of the spring i should multiply it by the spring constant. Correct?
That is correct. In that case, it is most likely that you have made an arithmetic error; or if you are submitting your answer online your significant figures are out.

Well the answer in the book is 4.2*10^4. But I'm not getting that. Can you check my math when I post it? Thanks

ace123 said:
Well the answer in the book is 4.2*10^4. But I'm not getting that. Can you check my math when I post it? Thanks
No problem :smile:

Wow you will not believe what I did. I thought .6mm was .6*10^-5. Got it confused with micro. Sorry for bothering you.:smile:

ace123 said:
Wow you will not believe what I did. I thought .6mm was .6*10^-5. Got it confused with micro. Sorry for bothering you.:smile:
It usually is the small mistakes that trip you up! Don't worry about it.

1. How does the scale measure the spring compression?

The scale measures the force exerted by the spring when compressed. This force is then converted into a weight measurement by the scale.

2. What is the formula for calculating spring compression from a 1m jump on a scale?

The formula is: F = kx, where F is the force exerted by the spring, k is the spring constant, and x is the distance the spring is compressed (in this case, 1m).

3. How do you determine the spring constant?

The spring constant can be determined by dividing the force exerted by the spring by the distance it is compressed. This value will remain constant as long as the spring is not permanently deformed.

4. Is the weight measurement on the scale the same as the force exerted by the spring?

No, the weight measurement on the scale is a conversion of the force exerted by the spring and is affected by the gravitational pull of the Earth. The force exerted by the spring remains constant regardless of location.

5. Can the spring compression be calculated if the distance jumped is not exactly 1m?

Yes, the spring compression can still be calculated using the same formula (F = kx), as long as the distance jumped is known. However, the resulting value may not be as accurate as if the distance was exactly 1m.