1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spring Speed Problem

1. Nov 9, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A spring whose stiffness is 3500 N/m is used to launch a 4 kg block straight up in the classroom. The spring is initially
    compressed 0.2 m, and the block is initially at rest when it is released. When the block is 1.3 m above its starting
    position, what is its speed?

2. Relevant equations
    System: block, spring and earth.
    delta_Uspring + delta_Ugravitation + delta_K=0

3. The attempt at a solution
    everything i've tried seems to be wrong, the answer answer given to us however is 3.09 m/s.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2009 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

timmy8, welcome to PF!

Your equation is correct, so please show your work so we may see where you may have gone wrong.

4. Nov 9, 2009 #3
    1/2(3500)(1.3^2)-1/2(3500)(0.2^2)+4(-9.8)(1.3-0.2)+1/2(4)Vf^2-1/2(4)(0^2)=0

from there i solved for vf^2;

and vf^2=-1422.19

i am getting Vf^2 to be a negative number and i would have to solve the square root of that to get Vf.
    what am i doing wrong?

5. Nov 9, 2009 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have the change in the spring potential energy wrong. What is the PE of the spring when the block rises 1.3 m above its start point? The block is not attached to the spring. Also, you seem to have slipped up on a plus /minus sign for the change in gravitational PE. Also, the problem asks for the speed at 1.3 m above the initial start position of the block (when the spring is initially compressed, I think).

6. Nov 9, 2009 #5
    so in the spring potential should Uf be equal to zero? and for the change in gravitational PE isn't the formula m*g*delta_h? I am so lost.

7. Nov 9, 2009 #6

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

yes
    Yes, the formula is change in Gravitational PE is (mgh_final) - (mgh_initial). final h is 1.3 and initial h is zero, so the change is positive (it has gained grav. PE).

8. Nov 9, 2009 #7
    i thought g would be -9.81?

9. Nov 9, 2009 #8
    now i have:
    -springPE +mgh_final+1/2(m)v_final^2=0

This gave me the correct answer.

thank you for all your help PhantomJay

10. Nov 10, 2009 #9

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You're welcome. The plus and minus sign can be a killer in Physics, and it is easy to get confused. Sometimes you just have to reason it out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook