1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spring suspension on car

1. Oct 15, 2003 #1
    Ok, here is the problem:

A 1200 kg car carrying four 82 kg people travels over a rough "washboard" dirt road with corrugations 4.0 m apart which causes the car to bounce on its spring suspension. The car bounces with maximum amplitude when its speed is 15 km/h. The car now stops, and the four people get out. By how much does the car body rise on its suspension owing to this decrease in weight?
    I know I'm supposed to find the spring constant of the suspension here and first I need to find the angular frequency...but how do I go about finding the angular frequency?

If anyone can help as soon as possible...thanks a lot
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2003
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2003 #2
    ω = 2Πf

(f you can get from the speed and the space between the bumps.)

Does that help?
  4. Oct 15, 2003 #3
    How do you get f from the speed and the bumps?

I must have a really bad book...but it tells me that to get the frequency I need the angular frequency.

My book says f= w/2pi...which gives you w right back.

Thanks for the help
  5. Oct 15, 2003 #4
    ω is the angular frequency (i.e. radians per second)

f is the linear frequency: cycles per second, bumps per second, bumps per minute, bumps per hour...

You have kilometers per hour and bumps per meter...

Got it?

Then, use
    ω = 2Πf
    to get the angular frequency.

Then use what you know about simple harmonic motion to get the spring constant.
  6. Oct 16, 2003 #5
    Thanks a lot.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?