Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Spring suspension on car

1. Oct 15, 2003 #1
    Ok, here is the problem:

A 1200 kg car carrying four 82 kg people travels over a rough "washboard" dirt road with corrugations 4.0 m apart which causes the car to bounce on its spring suspension. The car bounces with maximum amplitude when its speed is 15 km/h. The car now stops, and the four people get out. By how much does the car body rise on its suspension owing to this decrease in weight?
    --------
    I know I'm supposed to find the spring constant of the suspension here and first I need to find the angular frequency...but how do I go about finding the angular frequency?

If anyone can help as soon as possible...thanks a lot

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2003
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2003 #2
    ω = 2Πf

(f you can get from the speed and the space between the bumps.)

Does that help?

4. Oct 15, 2003 #3
    How do you get f from the speed and the bumps?

I must have a really bad book...but it tells me that to get the frequency I need the angular frequency.

My book says f= w/2pi...which gives you w right back.

Thanks for the help

5. Oct 15, 2003 #4
    ω is the angular frequency (i.e. radians per second)

f is the linear frequency: cycles per second, bumps per second, bumps per minute, bumps per hour...

You have kilometers per hour and bumps per meter...

Got it?

Then, use
    ω = 2Πf
    to get the angular frequency.

Then use what you know about simple harmonic motion to get the spring constant.

6. Oct 16, 2003 #5
    Thanks a lot.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook