Spring system with oscillation

In summary, two people with a combined mass of 120 kg climb into an old car with worn out shock absorbers causing the springs to compress by 7.36 cm. The car then hits a bump in the road and oscillates with a period of 1.35 s. By using the equation Fsp=mg and k/\x=mg, we can find the spring constant, which is 15978.2609 N/m. Plugging this value into the equation T = 2pi(m)**.5 / (k)**.5, we can find the mass of the car to be 738 kg. This is different from the incorrect answer of 71851.6587 kg. By squaring both sides of
awertag

Homework Statement

Two people with a combined mass of 120 kg climb into an old car with worn out shock absorbers causing the springs to compress by 7.36 cm. Then, when the car hits a bump in the road it oscillates up and down with a period of 1.35 s.

(1) Find the total load supported by the springs.

(2) Find the mass of the car.

Homework Equations

T = 2pi (m)**.5 / (k)**.5

pi as in 3.1415... T= period k=spring constant **.5 as in radical

also note /\ means: delta/change in

The Attempt at a Solution

Fsp=mg
k/\x=mg
k(.0736)=(120)(9.8)
k=15978.2609 N/m

then plug into above equation:

1.35=[2pi(m)**.5]/(15978.2609)**.5

got incorrect answer of m= 71851.6587 kg

good help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
use k[tex]\Delta[/tex]x = mg to find k. To do this, use the information given when the car is at rest. So m=120kg, [tex]\Delta[/tex]x = 7.36cm .

Once you found k, plug the value in the other equation ( T = 2[tex]\pi[/tex] ...) to find m.R.

thanks for replying rick, but that's what i did...i believe. Can you show me the difference?

You are absolutely, right. I beg your pardon.

However, my answer for m is completely different from yours.
I get m = 738kg.

Try solving again the second equation.
I would suggest you to square both sides so to get rid of the square root, if you hadn't done so already.

R.

Wow, thank you so much! I squared both sides and that did the trick, really cleaned up the algebra. Have a great day! :)

Glad to be of help :)

Thanks, have a great day yourself!R.

1. What is a spring system with oscillation?

A spring system with oscillation is a physical system that consists of a spring (or multiple springs) and a mass attached to it. The mass is allowed to move freely back and forth, or oscillate, due to the restoring force of the spring.

2. What causes the oscillation in a spring system?

The oscillation in a spring system is caused by the restoring force of the spring. When the mass is displaced from its equilibrium position, the spring exerts a force in the opposite direction, causing the mass to move back towards its equilibrium position. This back and forth motion results in oscillation.

3. How does the stiffness of the spring affect the oscillation in a spring system?

The stiffness, or spring constant, of the spring determines how much force it exerts for a given displacement. A stiffer spring will exert a greater force, resulting in faster and smaller oscillations. A less stiff spring will exert a smaller force, resulting in slower and larger oscillations.

4. What factors can affect the period of oscillation in a spring system?

The period of oscillation, or the time it takes for one complete cycle of oscillation, can be affected by the mass attached to the spring, the stiffness of the spring, and the amplitude (or maximum displacement) of the oscillation. In general, a larger mass or stiffer spring will result in a longer period, while a larger amplitude will result in a shorter period.

5. How can we calculate the frequency of oscillation in a spring system?

The frequency of oscillation, or the number of cycles per unit time, can be calculated using the equation f = 1/T, where T is the period of oscillation. This equation applies to all simple harmonic motion, including the oscillation in a spring system. The frequency is measured in Hertz (Hz) or cycles per second.