Solving Problems Involving a Skater and a Spring

• Thread starter Kissinor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spring
F = ma = kxa = \frac{k}{m} x At maximum displacement, x_max, v = 0,F = kx_max = mgx_max = \frac{mg}{k} = \frac{80*9.8}{40} = 19.6/2 = 0.49 mb. At 5 m, speed is zero, so energy is stored in the spring.E_p = \int F dx = \frac{1}{2} k x^2 = \frac{1}{2} * 40 * (5)^2 = 1/2 * 40 * 25 =
Kissinor
Hi
Could you please help me solve these problems?

A skater with mass m = 80 kg and speed v = 8 m/s hits (colides with ) a spring with spring constant 40 N/m.
a .What is the maximum compression of the spring or in other words , how far will the sping be strecthed?

b. What is the speed of the skater after the spring has been compressed 5 m?

The same spring is now hung vertically from a tower on a bridge such that the free end is at the same level with the road , the skater hangs on to the free end of the spring and jumps over the bridge with an initial velocity v = 0 .

c How far is the spring extended when the skater has attained maximum speed?
d. What energy transfers occur when the skater falls towards the water?

Calculate the following :
1. The skater's maximum speed during the fall
2. How far under the road does the skater stops?
3 The geatest force the skater will experience form the spring during the fall.

Thanks for your help and guidiance in advance.

please email me the answer at : zoebush@yahoo.com

Physics news on Phys.org
a. Convert the kinetic energy of the skater 1/2mv^2 into the energy stored by the spring at maximum displacement, i.e. when the skater stops. For the spring F=kx and total energy absorbed = [tex]\int F dx[/tex]. Find the appropriate limits.

b. Determine spring energy at displacement of 5m and determine kinetic energy of skater.

c. 1. Skater achieves maximum velocity when acceleration = 0, i.e when spring force balances force of gravity. Determine distance at this point, and speed.

2. From point of maximum velocity, spring force exceeds gravity force so skater is decelerating, and reaches maximum distance from starting point when speed is zero.

3. If spring force, F=kx, where should the maximum force occur?

Thanks Astronuc , but I am still confused. I would need a little more detail like how I go about solving for the length of spring in question .

what formula do i use to determine the spring energy?

I don't know how to apply antidifferention in this case .

Please throw a little more light. thanks in advance.

What is the acceleration of the skater after he hits the spring?

[tex] F = kx [/tex]
[tex] E_p = \int F dx = \frac{1}{2} k x^2 [/tex] Energy in spring

The only force working on the object is the force from the spring

Last edited:

What is the relationship between a skater and a spring in problem solving?

The skater and the spring are both involved in a physical system where energy is transferred between them. The skater's motion causes the spring to compress or stretch, and the spring's potential energy is then converted into the skater's kinetic energy.

How does the mass of the skater affect the problem solving process?

The mass of the skater affects the total energy of the system, as well as the amount of force needed to compress or stretch the spring. A heavier skater will require more energy to move and will have a greater impact on the spring.

What role does the spring constant play in solving problems involving a skater and a spring?

The spring constant, also known as the stiffness of the spring, determines how much force is needed to compress or stretch the spring. It is a crucial factor in calculating the potential energy stored in the spring and the force exerted on the skater.

What are the key equations used in solving problems involving a skater and a spring?

The key equations used in these types of problems are the equations for potential energy, kinetic energy, and force. The potential energy stored in a spring is calculated using the equation U = 1/2 kx^2, where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement of the spring. The kinetic energy of the skater is calculated using the equation KE = 1/2 mv^2, where m is the mass of the skater and v is their velocity. The force exerted on the skater by the spring is given by F = -kx.

How can I use the information from solving problems involving a skater and a spring in real-life applications?

The principles and equations used in solving these types of problems can be applied to real-life situations, such as designing and testing springs for various purposes or understanding the energy transfer in activities like skateboarding or rollerblading. These problems also help develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that can be used in various scientific and engineering fields.