1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spring & Time

1. Jan 18, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A spring of negligible mass stretches 3.00 cm from its relaxed length when a force of 7.50 N is applied. A 0.500-kg particle rests on a frictionless horizontal surface and is attached to the free end of the spring. The particle is pulled horizontally so that it stretches the spring 5.00 cm and is then released from rest at t=0. Determine the displacement x of the particle from the equilibrium position at t=0.500s.

2. Relevant equations

Not sure

3. The attempt at a solution

I've calculated the spring constant, the average acceleration from the stretched position to the equilibrium solution but I can't do anything to solve for time..

Can anyone tell me how to solve this question?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2009 #2
    Sounds like what you need to do is to write the equation of motion (a differential equation), solve the differential equation, and then evaluate x(t=0.5) after you have found x(t) as the solution of the differential equation.

There is no solving for the time involved in this problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?