1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spring under block question

1. Dec 4, 2004 #1
    I have tried all sorts of ways to solve this problem, but it has gotten the better of me.
    A 0.2kg block is held in place by a force F that results in the compression of a spring beneath the block. The spring constant is 100N/m. Assuming the mass of the spring is negligible compared to that of the block to what maximum height would the block rise if the force F were removed.

Any and all help would be appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2004 #2
    The block exerts a downward force on the spring (its weight), which compresses it. But an additional force compresses the spring more. Without any more info, (the force or added compression), I don't know how to solve it...
  4. Dec 5, 2004 #3
    that's where I got stuck too. I found the accelration for the force on the spring but I don't know where to go from there.
  5. Dec 5, 2004 #4
    Maybe the expected answer is a symbolic one with F or D included as a variable, rather than an actual number.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?