Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Spring under block question

1. Dec 4, 2004 #1
    I have tried all sorts of ways to solve this problem, but it has gotten the better of me.
    A 0.2kg block is held in place by a force F that results in the compression of a spring beneath the block. The spring constant is 100N/m. Assuming the mass of the spring is negligible compared to that of the block to what maximum height would the block rise if the force F were removed.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2004 #2
    The block exerts a downward force on the spring (its weight), which compresses it. But an additional force compresses the spring more. Without any more info, (the force or added compression), I don't know how to solve it...

4. Dec 5, 2004 #3
    that's where I got stuck too. I found the accelration for the force on the spring but I don't know where to go from there.

5. Dec 5, 2004 #4
    Maybe the expected answer is a symbolic one with F or D included as a variable, rather than an actual number.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook