Spring - which one is correct?

• Thread starter JoanF
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spring
In summary, the frequency of oscillation of the spring, when the body is suspended vertically, is doubled.
JoanF

Homework Statement

mass of the body=m

Horizontally, the spring is deflected from its equilibrium position and then released, oscillated with a frequency f. Then, the same spring and the same body are suspended vertically, as in figure.

Which one is correct?

A) The frequency of movement of the spring, when the body is suspended vertically, doubled.

B) The frequency of movement of the spring, when the body is suspended vertically, reduced to half.

C) The frequency of movement of the spring, when the body is suspended vertically, remains the same.

D) The frequency of movement of the spring, when the body is suspended vertically, is not related to the period of the movement, when the spring oscillates horizontally.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think is C) but I think that D) is also correct. Please help me

Attachments

• Imagem.jpg
    Imagem.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 424
Physics news on Phys.org

Describe how you came to that conclusion.

I think is C) because the frequency is a characteristic of the oscillator.

I think that D) is also correct because we change the position of oscillator and in the second case there are 2 forces: grav force and elastic force, in the first case there is only elastic force.

It's true that when suspended vertically there are two forces to consider, but it still turns out that the frequency depends only on the ratio of k/m.

How does period relate to frequency?

f= 1/T

so is C) ?

JoanF said:
f= 1/T
Right.
so is C) ?
Yes, C is correct. D doesn't really make sense, since if the frequency is unchanged the period must also be unchanged.

so the in spite of in 2nd case there are 2 forces acting, that doesn't change anything, right?

JoanF said:
so the in spite of in 2nd case there are 2 forces acting, that doesn't change anything, right?
What changes is the length of the spring when the system is at its equilibrium point. In the horizontal case, the equilibrium position is when the spring is unstretched; but when vertical, the spring is stretched at equilibrium (by an amount = mg/k).

But that doesn't affect the choice of answer.

oh ok, now I understand

many thanks, really!

1. What exactly is the first day of spring?

The first day of spring, also known as the vernal equinox, occurs when the sun is directly over the Earth's equator. This usually falls on March 20th or 21st each year.

2. Is it true that there are different types of springs?

Yes, there are actually two different types of springs: meteorological and astronomical. Meteorological spring is based on the Gregorian calendar and starts on March 1st, while astronomical spring is based on the position of the sun and starts on the vernal equinox.

3. Why do some people say that spring is a season of new beginnings?

Spring is often associated with new beginnings because it is a time when plants start to grow, animals come out of hibernation, and the weather becomes warmer. It symbolizes a fresh start and new growth after the cold, dormant winter months.

4. Are there any specific weather patterns that are associated with spring?

Spring weather can vary depending on location, but some common patterns include increased rainfall, warmer temperatures, and the potential for severe storms as the atmosphere becomes more unstable.

5. Is it true that the length of daylight increases during spring?

Yes, as the Earth's axis tilts towards the sun during spring, the length of daylight increases. This is why the days become longer and nights become shorter during this season.