1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spring with circular motion

1. Jul 15, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An object of mass M = 3.00 kg is attached to a spring with spring constant k = 132 N/m whose unstretched length is L = 0.170 m, and whose far end is fixed to a shaft that is rotating with an angular speed of omega = 2.00 radians/s. Neglect gravity and assume that the mass also rotates with an angular speed of 2.00 radians/s as shown.

[​IMG]

Question:
    Given the angular speed of omega = 2.00 radians/s, find the radius R([tex]\omega[/tex]) at which the mass rotates without moving toward or away from the origin.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]k(R-L)[/tex]
    The amount of force a spring exerts is proportional to the distance it is stretched or compressed with respect to its equilibrium length ( L = 0.170 m in this case).

so...

[tex]F_{spring}(R)=k(R-L)[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

"force a spring exerts is proportional to the distance it is stretched or compressed with respect to its equilibrium length" I am having problems with this part. I cannot figure out what the other side of the equation is.

I tried [tex]R-L=k(R-L)[/tex] but this does not work.

Any ideas???

-- Abarak

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Apply Newton's 2nd law to the mass. Is it accelerating?

4. Jul 15, 2007 #3
    From what I gather the object is not accelerating so Newton's 2nd law would not apply to this.

"force a spring exerts is proportional to the distance it is stretched or compressed with respect to its equilibrium length" I don't see how this would apply to Newton's second law or the other side of the equation:

[tex]???? = k(R-L)[/tex]

-- Abarak

5. Jul 15, 2007 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Sure it's accelerating--it's going in a circle! (Reread the chapter in your text about circular motion.)

6. Jul 15, 2007 #5
    Oh snap! Talk about a lack of judgment. After applying Newton's 2nd Law everything worked like a charm.

Thanks again for the help Doc.

-- Abarak

7. Jan 30, 2008 #6
    how did you do this problem, because i have the same problem and its been bugging me like crazy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?