Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Spring within a spring

1. Nov 30, 2016 #1
    So I am doing tensile testing on an elastic electrical lead for biomedical purposes. The lead is encapsulated in an elastic tubing. Now the lead acts like a weak spring itself (coiled wire).
    I'm curious, if there are two springs with different k constants "within" each-other (one inside the other) will it effect the Hooke's law equation? Or will the dominant k constant be the baseline?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2016 #2

RUber

Homework Helper

If you have two springs with the same k embedded into each other, what would happen? I think since the density of the spring is changed, you would have a greater stiffness. Would you use 2k and just add the two? If the springs were separate and working together you could assume that they work together.

Using
    ## F = k_1X_1 + k_2X_2 ##,
    you can see that if the displacement is the same, the effective k is the sum of the two.

If the second is much weaker than the first, ignoring it will likely not induce a significant error.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted