1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Spring within a spring

1. Nov 30, 2016 #1
    So I am doing tensile testing on an elastic electrical lead for biomedical purposes. The lead is encapsulated in an elastic tubing. Now the lead acts like a weak spring itself (coiled wire).
    I'm curious, if there are two springs with different k constants "within" each-other (one inside the other) will it effect the Hooke's law equation? Or will the dominant k constant be the baseline?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2016 #2

Homework Helper

If you have two springs with the same k embedded into each other, what would happen? I think since the density of the spring is changed, you would have a greater stiffness. Would you use 2k and just add the two? If the springs were separate and working together you could assume that they work together.

## F = k_1X_1 + k_2X_2 ##,
    you can see that if the displacement is the same, the effective k is the sum of the two.

If the second is much weaker than the first, ignoring it will likely not induce a significant error.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted