No worries, let's just focus on finding the correct answers for the questions!

In summary: Please go through it carefully!In summary, the velocity of block B is 2 times the velocity of block A, relative to block A. The kinetic energy of block B is 4 times the kinetic energy of block A, relative to block A. Spring B is compressed 4 times as much as spring A, relative to spring A. The maximum force applied to spring B is 4 times the maximum force applied to spring A, relative to spring A.
BMcC
1. Two blocks of equal mass are each pushed (from rest) along a frictionless surface a distance d. The force applied to block B is four times that applied to block A. What is the velocity of block B, relative to that of block A, vA?

a) 4 vA
b) 2 vA
c) vA
d) vA/2
e) vA/4

2. What is the kinetic energy of block B relative to that of block A, KA?

a) 4 KA
b) 2 KA
c) KA
d) KA/2
e) KA/4

3. The same work is done compressing spring A or spring B from their equilibrium lengths. The spring constant of spring A is four times that of spring B. How much is spring B compressed relative to spring A, xA?

a) 8 xA
b) 4 xA
c) 2 xA
d) xA/2
e) xA/4
f) xA/8

4. What is the maximum force applied to spring B relative to that applied to spring A, FA?

a) 8 FA
b) 4 FA
c) 2 FA
d) FA/2
e) FA/4
f) FA/8

For 1. I figure that pushing B with 4 times the force would make it accelerate 4 times as fast, thus making the final velocity 4 times as fast as the velocity of block A if they both start at rest. So I chose a)

For 2. I figure that since the velocity of B is 4 times larger than the velocity of A, then the KE = 1/2 m*v2 would make the KE of B 4 times larger than the KE of A, so I chose a) again.

For 3. I figure that kA is 4kB. If the work for both is equal, then F*dA = F*dB, and since kA = 4kB, then B is compressed 4 times as much, so I chose b). I am unsure about this one.

For 4. I'm kind of confused...

Any help at all would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
BMcC said:
1. Two blocks of equal mass are each pushed (from rest) along a frictionless surface a distance d. The force applied to block B is four times that applied to block A. What is the velocity of block B, relative to that of block A, vA?

a) 4 vA
b) 2 vA
c) vA
d) vA/2
e) vA/4

2. What is the kinetic energy of block B relative to that of block A, KA?

a) 4 KA
b) 2 KA
c) KA
d) KA/2
e) KA/4

3. The same work is done compressing spring A or spring B from their equilibrium lengths. The spring constant of spring A is four times that of spring B. How much is spring B compressed relative to spring A, xA?

a) 8 xA
b) 4 xA
c) 2 xA
d) xA/2
e) xA/4
f) xA/8

4. What is the maximum force applied to spring B relative to that applied to spring A, FA?

a) 8 FA
b) 4 FA
c) 2 FA
d) FA/2
e) FA/4
f) FA/8

For 1. I figure that pushing B with 4 times the force would make it accelerate 4 times as fast, thus making the final velocity 4 times as fast as the velocity of block A if they both start at rest. So I chose a)

For 2. I figure that since the velocity of B is 4 times larger than the velocity of A, then the KE = 1/2 m*v2 would make the KE of B 4 times larger than the KE of A, so I chose a) again.

For 3. I figure that kA is 4kB. If the work for both is equal, then F*dA = F*dB, and since kA = 4kB, then B is compressed 4 times as much, so I chose b). I am unsure about this one.

For 4. I'm kind of confused...

Any help at all would be appreciated!

First consider Q.1) .Your answer and reasoning both are incorrect .Do you know Work Kinetic Energy Theorem ?

It states Wnet = ΔKE i.e net work done by all the external forces is equal to the change in the kinetic energy of the body .

Just Apply it .What do you get ?

You should not go on your logic. Write equations of motion and then you should understand how many problems are wrong!(first is wrong and i think others too are wrong.)

So in 1. for B, it's 1/2 mv2 = 4*F*d?

BMcC said:
So in 1. for B, it's 1/2 mv2 = 4*F*d?

Yes..that is right .

So I work that out for B and get v2 = (8*F*d)/m.

I work it out for A and get v2 = (2*F*d)/m

So is vB not 4 times larger than vA?

you should take squareroots on both sides

BMcC said:
So I work that out for B and get v2 = (8*F*d)/m.

I work it out for A and get v2 = (2*F*d)/m

So is vB not 4 times larger than vA?

No...This means vB2 is equal to four times vA2 :smile:

Oh damn. So vB = 2*vA?

Yes ...

that's right:smile:
So what is the correct option of 1

So 1. is b)!

Now onto the next ones...

No,thats wrong.
see what is asked "What is the velocity of block B, relative to that of block A"

BMcC said:
So 1. is b)!

Now onto the next ones...

Correct.

nil1996 said:
No,thats wrong.
see what is asked "What is the velocity of block B, relative to that of block A"

So what is the answer according to you ?

I am utterly confused

BMcC said:
I am utterly confused

No need to get confused ..Just carry on with the next part..

Let nil1996 answer my question .

Tanya Sharma said:
Correct.
So what is the answer according to you ?

block B is moving at a velocity 2Va and block A is moving at speed Va
So the relative velocity is Va . isn't it right??

nil1996 said:
So the relative velocity is Va

That is simply wrong understanding.

Please read question carefully...Here relative means in comparision to .The question doesn't ask about relative velocity .

Tanya Sharma said:

Please read question carefully...Here relative means in comparision to .The question doesn't ask about relative velocity .

If i say you are moving at 4 m/s and i at 2m/s in same direction and ask "what is your velocity relative to me?"
The answer would be 2m/s.

I think the problems is similar too.

nil1996 said:
If i say you are moving at 4 m/s and i at 2m/s in same direction and ask "what is your velocity relative to me?"
The answer would be 2m/s.

I think the problems is similar too.

Where is it mentioned that the two blocks are moving in the same direction ?

The question is asking for the relation between the two velocities ,not relative velocity.

Tanya Sharma said:
Where is it mentioned that the two blocks are moving in the same direction ?

The question is asking for the relation between the two velocities ,not relative velocity.

Where is the question saying find the relation between the two velocities ?

nil1996 said:

Common sense...

Tanya Sharma said:
Common sense...

OK then let the discussion continue with next problem.You are taking the question roughly.

BMcC...What is the answer to Q.2 ?

Last edited:
Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

From the OP: What is the velocity of block B, relative to that of block A, VA?

nil1996 said:
So the relative velocity is Va . isn't it right??
No, it's wrong. From the answers given it is clear that "relative to" means what multiple of VA is VB? Here, "relative to" DOES NOT mean the difference of the two velocities.

Tanya Sharma said:

Right. And again, "relative to" and "in comparison to" mean what multiple.

nil1996 said:
From the original problem statement, part of which I quoted at the top of this post. Also, from the given possible answers, it is clear that they're talking about multiples, not differences.

I am reopening this thread, taking it out of moderation.

nil1996, do not persist in taking this thread off track.

Mark44 said:
From the OP: What is the velocity of block B, relative to that of block A, VA?

No, it's wrong. From the answers given it is clear that "relative to" means what multiple of VA is VB? Here, "relative to" DOES NOT mean the difference of the two velocities.

Right. And again, "relative to" and "in comparison to" mean what multiple.

From the original problem statement, part of which I quoted at the top of this post. Also, from the given possible answers, it is clear that they're talking about multiples, not differences.

I am reopening this thread, taking it out of moderation.

nil1996, do not persist in taking this thread off track.

I am sorry for that.I realized i was taking word to word meaning.Sorry BmcC for confusing you.And last sorry Tanya Sharma for taking a long useless argument.

1. What is a spring?

A spring is a flexible, elastic object that is used to store and release mechanical energy. It is typically made of a coiled metal wire or strip, and can stretch or compress under force.

2. How do springs work?

When a force is applied to a spring, it either stretches or compresses, depending on the type of force. This deformation stores potential energy in the spring, which is released when the force is removed, causing the spring to return to its original shape.

3. What are the different types of springs?

There are several types of springs, including coil springs, leaf springs, gas springs, and torsion springs. Each type has its own unique design and function, but all work on the principle of elasticity to store and release energy.

4. What are springs used for?

Springs have a wide range of applications, including in mechanical and electrical devices, such as car suspensions, door hinges, and watches. They are also used in everyday objects like pens, mattresses, and toys.

5. How do you measure the force of a spring?

The force exerted by a spring can be measured using a spring scale or by using Hooke's Law, which states that the force applied to a spring is directly proportional to the amount of stretch or compression of the spring. The force can be calculated by multiplying the spring's spring constant by the displacement of the spring.