1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Springs and inclined plane

1. Oct 12, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A spring with k = 40.0 N/m is at the base of a frictionless 30.0° inclined plane. A 0.50 kg object is pressed against the spring, compressing it 0.4 m from its equilibrium position. The object is then released. If the object is not attached to the spring, how far up the incline does it travel before coming to rest and then sliding back down?

2. Relevant equations

I tried to use the formula (1/2)kx2=mgh

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried (1/2)(40)(.4)2=.5(9.8)h, solving for h.

The first time I worked it out, I got h=.65306. I tried entering .65, .653, .7 3 separate times into my homework website, and they were all incorrect. I tried working the problem out again, and got h=15.68. I tried submitting 15.7 and 16 as answers, and they were both incorrect as well.
    If anyone can offer any insight, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

Hi vrobins1,

You were on the right track when you found the first answer for h. However, they want the distance along the incline. What does h represent, and how is that related to the distance traveled along the incline? Once you answer those questions I think you'll get the right answer.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?