1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Springs differential eqn

1. Oct 20, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

After a mass weighing 8 pounds is attached to a 5-foot spring, the spring measures 6.6 feet. The entire system is placed in a medium that offers a damping constant of one. Find the equation of motion if the mass is initially released from a point 6 inches below the equilibrium point with a upward velocity of 1 ft/sec.

2. Relevant equations
    F=kx
    my''+cy'+ky=0

3. The attempt at a solution
    I got k=8/(6.6-5) = 8/1.2
    c= 1 as given ?

setting up the eqn I got 1/4 y'' + 1y' + 8/1.2 y = 0
    or y'' +4y' + 80/3 y = 0

is this actually right? I tried 3 times and I keep getting this, i dont know i feel suspicious ?!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2015 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

"8 pounds" is weight, or force, not mass. What does "damping constant" mean? What are its units and how does it give force?

4. Oct 20, 2015 #3
    of course 8 lbs is weight, dividing by 32 gives me .25 which is my mass! damping i believe is given in the problem "damping constant of one" .. otherwise if not given i would find it by sqrt of 4*m*k

5. Oct 20, 2015 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

"Damping force" is always opposite to the motion and is, approximately, proportional to the speed or the speed squared. I presume here you are told that it is proportional to speed. But because it is opposite to speed, the force must be -kv.

6. Oct 20, 2015 #5
    and of course my iniital conditions would be y(0)=-6 y'(0)=1

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted