1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Springs & Energy

Tags:
  1. Dec 10, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hello, I'm having an issue with a question I have all the numbers and everything but I cant quite get the answer correctly and its very frustrating..

A mass, m is held at UEP of a vertical spring constant k & allowed to fall. Calculate:
    a) The maximum stretch(max bottom)
    b) The amplitude of vibration

2. Relevant equations
    PEg + PEe + KE= PEg' +PEe'+ KE'
    h = xo = mg/k

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've solved the amplitude of vibration already im just stuck at part a) I really do not know how start please help thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2014 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You've quoted the right equations - just fill in the blanks: in terms of the desired unknown, what are the loss in gravitational PE, the gain in spring PE, and the change in KE?

4. Dec 11, 2014 #3
    about maximum stretch
    I'm not sure but I think I think that depends on the spring ,,
    If it is in equilibrium after falling we will use the laws of conservation of energy ,
    If it is not "say it is oscillating" we shall use newton second law , because in oscillation , we can't specify the final and initial positions of the string [it would go back farther than it's initial position when it's allowed to fall]

I'm I right ??

5. Dec 11, 2014 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No, it's not the stretch at equilibrium we want, it's the maximum stretch, and that occurs once in each oscillation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted