Calculating Total Spring Constant of Parallel Springs

• Thread starter MilenaMath
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary, when a spring with spring constant k and unstretched length L is cut in half and the two parts are put in parallel, the total spring constant becomes 4k. This is because halving the length of the spring also halves its deflection under a given force, effectively doubling its stiffness. Putting the cut springs in parallel further reduces the force on each spring, resulting in a quadrupling of the total spring constant.
MilenaMath
A spring with spring constant k and of unstretched length L is cut in half and both parts are put side by side.
Determine the total spring constant of the parallel springs.
Can anyone explain me the solution to this.

Physics news on Phys.org
MilenaMath said:
A spring with spring constant k and of unstretched length L is cut in half and both parts are put side by side.
Determine the total spring constant of the parallel springs.
Can anyone explain me the solution to this.

Since the springs are in parallel, they will both have the same displacement. Knowing this and examining the equation for the restoring force of the spring you can find that:

F = kx

F = k1x + k2x = (k1+k2)x

Keeping the second equation in the same "form" as the first,

k = k1 + k2

This is more of an introductory physics question. Make sure to read the stickies before posting.

But the correct answer is 4K,I did the same thing,but the professor says 4K,I can't find the mistake

What is the spring constant of half of the original spring?

My solution was: I assumed the F=kx,k is the spring constant of the initial spring,then I said ##k_1= F/(x/2)## so is ##k_2## and thus ##k_1=k_2=2k => k_t=4k##
But he says my mistake is that I can't say ##k_1= F/(x/2)## but the rest is ok

MilenaMath said:
My solution was: I assumed the F=kx,k is the spring constant of the initial spring,then I said ##k_1= F/(x/2)## so is ##k_2## and thus ##k_1=k_2=2k => k_t=4k##
But he says my mistake is that I can't say ##k_1= F/(x/2)## but the rest is ok
Your answer is correct but so is the professor's comment. You need to explain more clearly, in terms of the spring's unstretched lengths, not its displacement, why cutting a spring in half doubles its stiffness.

I found out my mistake: So the right way to proceed is We apply force ##F_x## to the spring and let's assume it stretches to length ##x_n-L## then we have ##F_x=k(x_n-L)## .Then we cut the spring into half and both of them would stretch to##x/2## length when ##F_x## force is applied but both of them will have untretched lengths equal to ##L/2## so we have ##F_x=k_1(\frac{x}{2}-\frac{L}{2})## and ##F_x=k_2(x/2-L/2)## we can't say anything about force constants ##k_1## and ##k_2## yet. but combining last 2 equations and knowing it is equal to the equation at the beginning we find that total force(spring) constant is equal to 4k.

This is a bit of a 'circular' proof in that you assume that the spring will stretch only 1/2 as much when it it is cut in half, but this is what you are trying to prove.
The deflection of the spring is directly proportional to its length and force, and the amount of its deflection is dependent on its geometric and elastic properties. Since you halve its length, you halve its deflection under a given force, and thus double its stiffness k. Then you put the cut springs in parallel, so each sees just half the force, which effectively quadruples the effective equivalent stiffness.

1. How do you calculate the total spring constant of parallel springs?

To calculate the total spring constant of parallel springs, you simply add the individual spring constants together. This is because when springs are arranged in parallel, each spring is subjected to the same force and therefore contributes to the total stiffness of the system.

2. What is the formula for calculating total spring constant of parallel springs?

The formula for calculating the total spring constant of parallel springs is Ktotal = K1 + K2 + K3 + ... + Kn, where K is the individual spring constant of each spring in the system and n is the total number of springs in parallel.

3. Can the total spring constant of parallel springs be greater than the individual spring constants?

Yes, the total spring constant of parallel springs can be greater than the individual spring constants. This is because when springs are arranged in parallel, the total stiffness of the system is increased due to the combined effect of all the individual springs.

4. What is the significance of calculating the total spring constant of parallel springs?

Calculating the total spring constant of parallel springs is important in understanding the overall behavior of a system of springs. It allows us to determine the total stiffness of the system and how it will respond to applied forces. This information is useful in various applications, such as designing springs for specific purposes or predicting the behavior of mechanical systems.

5. Are there any limitations to calculating the total spring constant of parallel springs?

One limitation of calculating the total spring constant of parallel springs is that it assumes all the springs in the system are identical and have the same spring constant. In reality, this may not always be the case and can affect the accuracy of the calculated value. Additionally, this calculation does not take into account other factors that may affect the stiffness of the system, such as friction or external forces.