1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Springs - Hooke's Law

1. Nov 29, 2003 #1
    How do i find the force constant of a spring with a Newton meter?
    Do i graph the force applied vs. distance of stretch? What is on the x-axis, what is on the y-axis?

How do i find an equation for the amount of skretch needed for on spring on a projectile, with the horizontal distance, angle of the projectile, mass and force constant given?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2003 #2
    What kind of text book are you using in your school?
  4. Nov 29, 2003 #3

Science Advisor

F = kd
    k = F/d
    Now that you know the formula, it's easy to figure it out. Plot force on the Y axis and displacement on the x axis. The slope of the graph will give you the k value.

Your second question is difficult to understand. Can you reword it or say it differently?
  5. Nov 29, 2003 #4
    Nelson Physics 12
  6. Nov 29, 2003 #5
    Re: Re: Springs - Hooke's Law

I'm launching a spring off the end of an angled launch pad (projectile) at angle Өtheta, i want to find how long i have to skretch the spring in order for the spring to go x metres in the horizontal distance.

i think i use the equation ½mv²=½kx² to find the velocity. Then I use that velocity in the equation d=[v²sin2(theta)]/g, to find the horizontal distance. Does that sound right, or is there an easier equation?
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2003
  7. Nov 29, 2003 #6

Combine the equations to get the result

Range = (kx2 sin 2θ)/mg

I can't see it getting any easier.
  8. Nov 29, 2003 #7
    Checkout Sample Problem #4 on pg 209
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?