1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Springs in harmonic motion

1. Sep 30, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    "A certain spring with the mass of 10kg oscillates with a period of 10 seconds on the earth. What would be its period on a small moon, where the gravity is 1/16 as strong as on the earth?"

2. Relevant equations
    I'm thinking I have to use the equation: T=1/2(pi)sqrt[L/g(1/16)]
    but I am not sure as my professor will not answer a straight question of 'what formula should I use for this'.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I ran into a problem here because the previous question asked almost the same thing but it was speaking of pendulums. I read somewhere that the mass of the spring is irrelevant in this problem but this is just confusing to me. I am only 2 weeks into this course about waves so I haven't had the time to adapt yet.
    All help and suggestions are appreciated!
    Thank You!
    P. Ramos

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2009 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

That formula for the period looks like the one for a pendulum, not a spring. But I think you have 1/2 where you should have 2.

You can find spring formulas at http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/shm.html#c1
    I see they give the formula for omega, which is 2(pi)f, and the frequency f is 1/period.
    The spring constant k is a measure of how stiff the spring is.

The pendulum and the spring are quite different because gravity is the restoring force that pulls a pendulum back from the extremities of its oscillation. In the case of the spring, it is the spring itself that pulls its mass load back toward the equilibrium position.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook