1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Springs in Series

1. Oct 17, 2006 #1
    I have this homework question which I don't understand how to do it.

Since I am not homew right now, I can't post up the picture. I will explain what the picture looks like.

___ = Wall
    $ = Spring
    | = Connection
    (*) = mass
    $ 2.8N/cm
    $ 6N/cm
    (*) 41

So basically we have 2 springs with diffrent elasticities hanging from the wall. And below the springs is a mass with 41N.

1. What distance will the spring of constant 2.8 N/cm stretch? Answer in units of cm.

2. In the same series spring system, what distance will the spring of constant 6 N/cm stretch? Answer in units of cm.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Assuming the springs are massless, how much weight must each spring support?
  4. Oct 17, 2006 #3
    Oh wait, I got the answer. I was doing the calcuations wrong. Instead of deviding 41N by the 2.8 N/cm, I was deviding .41 by 2.8. I was trying to convert 41N to cm or something like that. lol
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?