1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Springs on a car

1. Jun 17, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An automobile can be considered to be mounted on four identical springs as far as vertical oscillations are concerned. The springs of a certain car are adjusted so that the oscillations have a frequency of 3 Hz.
    (a) What is the spring constant of each spring if the mass of the car is 1300 kg and the weight is evenly distributed over the springs?

2. Relevant equations

w = (k/m)^(1/2)
    k(total) = k1 + k2 + k3 + k4 = 4k

3. The attempt at a solution

Since the springs are arranged in a parallel fashion, I can add their individual spring constants for an overall constant. Since the springs are identical, I can rewrite the sum of constants as 4k. Then, using the first equation listed above I have:

3 = (4k/1300)^(1/2) and solving for k I found the solution to be 2925 N/m. What's wrong with my approach?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2009 #2
    w =/= f
    w = 2πf
    That's the only thing I can spot that's wrong. See if that gets you to the text-book's answer.

You're welcome. ^^

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  4. Jun 17, 2009 #3
    Dumb mistake on my part...thanks for the help...you're right on the money!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook