Calculating Period and Frequency of a Mass-Spring System

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a spring with a spring constant of 1.8 X 102 N/m and a 1.5 kg mass. The question asks for the period and frequency of the mass-spring system, and Hooke's Law is mentioned as a possible equation to use. However, it is determined that there are several spring equations that can be used, and one of them relates mass and spring constant to period or frequency. The equation T= 2Pie sqroot(m/k) is suggested as a solution.
tallbus1

Homework Statement

A spring with a spring constant of 1.8 X 102 N/m is attached to a 1.5 kg mass and then set into motion.

a. What is the period of the mass-spring system?
b. What is the frequency of the vibration?

Homework Equations

The only one that comes to mind would be Hooke's Law
Fe = -kx

The Attempt at a Solution

The issue is that it gives a mass, but neither displacement, nor Felastic, which makes me wonder whether I'm using the wrong equation, or I'm not fully understanding the equation, as the only variable I have here that fits is -k (spring constant), unless of course Felastic can be related to Fg (MG) in some way.

Physics news on Phys.org
None of these equations exactly answer the problem, one of them doest mention when a mass is added to the end, but it requires you using Frequency, while I don't have the frequency...
After watching a lecture on that wikipedia page he explained the equation:

T= 2Pie sqroot(m/k)

This will solve my problem nicely, thank you!

What is Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law is a scientific principle that states the force needed to extend or compress a spring is directly proportional to the distance the spring is stretched or compressed. This relationship is expressed as F = -kx, where F is the force applied, k is the spring constant, and x is the distance stretched or compressed.

What is the significance of Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law is significant because it explains the behavior of springs and elastic materials under force. It is also a fundamental principle in the study of mechanics and is used to calculate the displacement, velocity, and acceleration of objects.

How is Hooke's Law used in real life?

Hooke's Law is used in various real-life applications, such as in the design of springs for mechanical devices, shock absorbers in cars, and elastic materials for clothing and sports equipment. It is also used in medical devices, such as orthodontic braces and prosthetics.

What factors can affect the accuracy of Hooke's Law?

The accuracy of Hooke's Law can be affected by several factors, including the quality and condition of the spring, the temperature and humidity of the environment, and the magnitude of the force applied. Other factors, such as friction and air resistance, can also affect the accuracy of the results.

Are there any limitations to Hooke's Law?

Yes, there are limitations to Hooke's Law. It is only applicable to linearly elastic materials, meaning that the relationship between force and displacement remains constant as long as the elastic limit of the material is not exceeded. It also does not take into account the effects of plastic deformation, where the material does not return to its original shape after the force is removed.