1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Springs, thermal energy

1. Nov 5, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1. A block with mass m = 1.46 kg is attached to a spring with spring constant k = 52.0 N/m and negligible mass. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the table is µk = 0.349. The block is displaced from its equilibrium position to the left by 0.203 m and released from rest. Calculate the block's displacement when it first comes to rest again.

2. Relevant equations
    Thermal energy=Ff * x
    Us= 0.5kx^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    Ff= MuN= (1.46 x 9.8)(0.349)=4.99 N
    Us(initial)= 0.5(52)(-0.203^2)
    Us(final)= 0.5(52)Xfinal
    initial thermal and spring energy=final thermal and spring energy
    (4.99)(-0.203)+26(0.203^2)=4.99x +26x^2
    i tried to solve it, plugged it into a quadratic equation but am still getting the wrong answer.

Any ideas on what im doing wrong? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2014 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Instead of calling it thermal energy, call it energy dissipated by friction. Note that x is the distance traveled by the mass.

OK. Here x is the displacement from equilibrium. Careful with notation!

Careful! You start and end with pure spring potential energy, the difference being the energy lost to friction.

4. Nov 5, 2014 #3
    Okay, so now I got:
    4.99 (0.203+x)=26x^2-26(0.203^2)
    plugged everything in and still didn't get the correct answer.

5. Nov 5, 2014 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The two terms on the right hand side are in the wrong order. You want initial U minus final U.

6. Nov 5, 2014 #5
    Okay awesome! Thank you very much haha I had been going at this one for a good 45 minutes! I feel pretty confident I understand it now just needed a bit of guidance. Thanks again!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted