Solve Springy Question on Incline with Mass and Acceleration

• Thread starter xcutexboax
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving a block on an incline connected to a spring. The question asks for the distance the block will move down the incline before coming to rest and its acceleration at the lowest point. The conversation suggests using the work done in extension of the spring and resolving forces to solve the problem. The participants also mention that the problem is fun to solve.
xcutexboax
Springy question...

undefined

Hi Guys... came across this qns...may seem quite simple but it is actually quite tricky.

A Block of mass m=1.00kg situated on an incline at an angle of 43.0 is connected to a spring of negligible mass having a spring constant of 100N/m. the pulley and the incline are frictionless. The block is released from rest wif the spring initially unstretched.

How far does it move down the incline before coming to rest?
What is its acceleration at its lowest point??

can i jus equate the work done in extension of spring: kx^2/2 equals to (mgsin43.0) x (x)? Pls enlighten me...

and for acceleration... at its lowest point... do i make use of 1/2mv^2?? from the work done? then using v^2=U^2 +2as to determine acceleration?

I personally feel acceleration shd be constant... cos of negligible friction..Don't really know if i am correct... Pls enlighten me.. :confused: Thanks :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Finally Solved it...

Woooh... thanks i finally solve it...

an additional part of the question:: Consider that when the block comes to rest, the change in gravitational potential energy is converted to the elastic potential energy of the spring. However, there is still a net force exerted on the block at that moment.

Simply jus equate the work done in extension to mgsin30 x extension.

and then use normal resolving of forces = ma since there is a net force... thanks guys. :cool:

hahaha springs [tex] 1/2kx^2 = mgy [/tex] those were really fun problems to do in physics one

1. How do you calculate the mass of an object on an inclined plane?

The mass of an object on an inclined plane can be calculated by using the formula: m = Fnet / a, where m is the mass, Fnet is the net force acting on the object, and a is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. What is the equation for determining the acceleration of an object on an inclined plane?

The equation for determining the acceleration of an object on an inclined plane is a = g * sin(theta), where a is the acceleration, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and theta is the angle of inclination.

3. How does the angle of inclination affect the acceleration of an object on an inclined plane?

The angle of inclination directly affects the acceleration of an object on an inclined plane. As the angle increases, the acceleration decreases because more of the force is acting against the direction of motion. As the angle decreases, the acceleration increases because more of the force is acting in the direction of motion.

4. What is the difference between static and kinetic friction on an inclined plane?

Static friction occurs when an object is at rest and is trying to be put into motion on an inclined plane. Kinetic friction occurs when an object is already in motion on an inclined plane. The force of static friction is greater than the force of kinetic friction.

5. How does the mass of an object affect its acceleration on an inclined plane?

The mass of an object does not directly affect its acceleration on an inclined plane. However, a heavier object may require more force to be applied in order to move it up the incline, resulting in a slower acceleration. In contrast, a lighter object may require less force and thus have a faster acceleration on the incline.