Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spur gear transmission

Tags:
  1. Nov 24, 2016 #1
    Hello.

I need to calculate spur gear transmissions.
    I need a bit of guidance for the first steps.
    The data is the next:
    n= 1000 rev/min
    Mt torque= 28.65 Nm
    i transmission ratio= 4
    P load in the shaft= 3kW

upload_2016-11-24_17-25-29.png

I am a bit lost to star selecting the material (depending the load and work conditions).
    The strees of the transmissions and the module of the gears.

I understand that I need to check the material in a catalogue of materials. But honestly I am lost trying to select the right one and fail at the beginning of my calculation of gears.

Later on when I have to calculate the module, which date should I set as I random number, the number of teeth then I will be able to calculate the module later.

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2016 #2

Baluncore

Science Advisor

4. Nov 25, 2016 #3
  5. Nov 26, 2016 #4

Baluncore

Science Advisor

Material selection will be decided by things like corrosion, lubrication and loads. You must be able to economically cut, finish, and then if possible, harden a gear.
    The gears, shafts, bearings and enclosure must be compatible materials that will not encourage electrochemical corrosion.

Start your calculations with a minimum of 19 teeth on the pinion and 75 on the bull gear which gives a ratio of 3.947. Those tooth counts have no common factors and so will give a “hunting tooth” that wears evenly since every tooth on the pinion will meet every tooth on the bull gear.
    20 : 81 = 4.05 is also possible since 20=2*2*5 and 81=3*3*3*3 have no common factors.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted