1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spy Plane Momentum Problem

1. Oct 8, 2006 #1
    In a military test, a 575 kg unmanned spy plane is traveling north at an altitude of 2700 m and a speed of 450 m/s. It is intercepted by a 1280 kg rocket traveling east at 725 m/s. If the rocket and spy plane become enmeshed in a tangled mess, how far from the point of impact do they hit the ground?

O.K. I take the plane is traveling northward parrallel to the ground. Conservation of momentum- and pythagorean theorum yields-
    sqrt((1280 x 725)^2+(450 x 575)^2) = (1280 +575)V
    Solving for V gives 519.35, and it is now a projectile motion. Solving for the time would give
    -2700 = -4.905t^2
    which gives time 23.46
    then, I multiplied velocity x time, which gave 1.22 x 10^4, which was not the right answer. Then I saw it said distance from explosion, so it would be the hypotenuse of a 1.22 x 10^4 by 2700 triangle, giving 1.25 x 10^4.. which was still not the right answer. Anyone see where I may have gone wrong?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't see any mistakes. What did they give as the answer?
  4. Oct 8, 2006 #3
    I didn't check your work on the pythagorean theorem. Otherwise, everything else looked fine to me... I'm scratching my head as well, except that the rocket sounds a bit heavy...

If you know the correct answer, perhaps the problem can be worked backward?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?