Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spyware and PFs

1. Aug 18, 2004 #1
    My computer contracted a serious case of spyware recently, and had to be taken to a computer workshop to get it fixed. The person who did the fixing apparently gave my sister (who was handling the situation) the idea that physicsforums is probably the reason why we're getting so much spyware problems. What do you guys think?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2004 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

PF has no spyware. It's just a vBulletin forum like thousands of others.

- Warren

4. Aug 18, 2004 #3

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The archives have some nasty spyware from their pop-ups, i'm pretty sure of that.

If you do have spyware problems either ad-aware or spybot (both free) will get rid of them.

5. Aug 23, 2004 #4

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think you may be right, jcsd. We're looking into it.

I have found that PestPatrol gets rid of spyware that Ad-aware can not.

There's no spyware in these main forums, as chroot said.

6. Aug 23, 2004 #5
    All spyware on the archives have been remedied, I apologize for any inconvenience.

7. Aug 25, 2004 #6

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I haven't questioned the policy of this forum before, but I would like to know why were there spyware in the first place? Was it something included by an advertizer? [I boycott all businesses engaging in such dubious and annoying form of advertizing, including pop-up's]

Is there a conscious effort to make sure no part of PF carries anything that has spywares?

Thanks.

Zz.

8. Aug 25, 2004 #7

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It was an accident. Greg was using a banner-ad company and didn't realize they began using dubious practices to increase their revenue. Not all of the ads contained spyware, so we weren't sure at first if the ad company was really at fault. As soon as we were sure, we removed the ads.

We certainly did not intend to support spyware.

- Warren

9. Aug 25, 2004 #8
    Can you give the name of 'banner-ad company?

PF members can then see that the PF has no policy or "hidden-agenda" of its own, I do not want to think that P-Forum is deliberetly intruding into members computers?

If you blame, you should shame!..or some 'paranoids' may speculate that it is PF itself :rolleyes: ..but is stating it is "banner-ad company".

To know is to clarify.

10. Aug 26, 2004 #9
    We had been through this issue once before.

The point about advertising has to do with google's adware, as I use them as well. One of those spyware is "adware." but I have numerous others that I will start to cateloque.

The responses this time around are a little different it seems :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?