1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spyware - istsvc.exe

1. Dec 26, 2004 #1
    How in the heck do I get rid of this #$@# spyware, i.e. "istsvc.exe". I ran spybot and ad-aware more times than I can count and its still there.

Pete

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 26, 2004 #2
    Pete:

I'll assume since you're posting this here it's really spyware and not some Windows component (I have stisvc.exe running on my 2k box, which appears to be the service host.)

I had a similar problem on my parents XP computer when I discovered they had some type of home page hijacker on there. After 3 hours of running Ad-Aware, searching the registry, and examining all of the applications and processes on the computer, it was still there.

I went out to the web, specifically downloads.com (follow this link for the download page) and found 'Hijack This' which did the trick.

It's a very powerful tool for getting rid of garbage on your PC. I would caution; however, that it's also a very dangerous tool if you don't know what you're doing. The results of a scan shows you everything that is different from the default Windows installation in it's raw form (registry entries mostly.) If you pull out something that *needs* to be running, you could crash your OS permanently. If you're just looking for the registy entries starting a particular executable though, it should be a fairly easy matter to find and get rid of it.

Best of luck,

Grogs

Oops, correction: stisvc.exe is the Still Images Device Monitoring service, which has something to do with linking to digital cameras and scanners. svchost.exe is the services host.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?