1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Square Coil, Round Hole

1. May 22, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A square, single-turn wire coil L = 1.75 cm on a side is placed inside a solenoid that has a circular cross section of radius r = 2.82 cm.
    http://capa8.phy.ohiou.edu/res/ohiou/serwaylib/Graphics/Graph20/serw2014.gif
    The solenoid is 22.0 cm long and wound with 113 turns of wire. If the current in the solenoid is 3.29 A, find the flux through the coil.

2. Relevant equations
    Є=(ΔNΔΦ/Δt)
    ΔΦ=BAcosΘ
    B=μ0NI

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have found the strength of the magnetic field using the constant μ0 = 12.57x10^-7, the number of turns 113, and the current 3.29 A, and because time is not applied Δt can be taken out of the equation to get Є=ΔNΔΦ=ΔN(BAcosΘ). This gives me B = 4.6731489x10^-4 or B = 4.67x10^-4 The next part of the question asks for the flux and the strength of the magnetic field is required to do so. However, when applying the strength of the magnetic field and the area of the square coil using the equation Φ = BA the answer I am given is Φ = 1.43x10^-7 Wb which is apparently wrong. I'm not sure what im doing wrong and any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2009 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to Physics Forums!

That equation isn't relevant, since they are not asking for Є.

Okay. But strictly speaking, this would be Φ and not ΔΦ. Nothing is changing in this situtation.

If N means the number of turns, then this expression is missing something. Check this out:
    http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/solenoid.html#c2

Try calculating B using the link I give above, then you can use the flux equation you had to find the flux.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook