Possible Solutions for Square Matrices: How Many Solutions Are There?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possible solutions for the equation Ax=b when different scenarios occur, such as when the determinant of A is equal to 0 or not equal to 0 and when b is equal to 0 or not equal to 0. It also highlights the need for understanding determinants and the b-vector in solving such equations. The individual asking for help also mentions their understanding that a system of 3 equations and 3 unknowns can have no solutions, 1 solution, or an infinite number of solutions. They provide a simple example to support this understanding.
ivanyo
Hi everyone,

I've been reading through my textbook for some guidance on this, but I have yet to find anything. The question asks to "describe the set of possible solutions when the following occur (assuming Ax=b). I've written my own knowledge in italics - however, I think they require an answer in terms of "no solution"/"# of unique solutions" or "infinite solutions".

(i) detA = 0, b = 0 (no inverse)
(ii) detA ≠ 0, b = 0 (inverse possible)
(iii) detA = 0, b ≠ 0 (no inverse)
(iv) detA ≠ 0, b ≠ 0 (inverse possible)

The way I learned was that if there was 3 solutions, there had to be 3 variables/pieces of information, otherwise it was redundant or inconsistent depending on what you were given. I've yet to learn using determinants and the b-vector.

Any insight would be helpful - Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
ivanyo said:
Hi everyone,

I've been reading through my textbook for some guidance on this, but I have yet to find anything. The question asks to "describe the set of possible solutions when the following occur (assuming Ax=b). I've written my own knowledge in italics - however, I think they require an answer in terms of "no solution"/"# of unique solutions" or "infinite solutions".

(i) detA = 0, b = 0 (no inverse)
It's true that the matrix A doesn't have an inverse, but they're asking about the equation Ax = 0. Does this equation have a) no solutions, b) exactly 1 solutions, c) an infinite number of solutions?
ivanyo said:
(ii) detA ≠ 0, b = 0 (inverse possible)
If det(A) ≠ 0, then A definitely has an inverse, so how many solutions does the equation Ax = 0 have?
ivanyo said:
(iii) detA = 0, b ≠ 0 (no inverse)
Again, how many solutions does the equation Ax = b have?
ivanyo said:
(iv) detA ≠ 0, b ≠ 0 (inverse possible)
As before, if det(A) ≠ 0, then A definitely has an inverse, so how many solutions does the equation Ax = b have?
ivanyo said:
The way I learned was that if there was 3 solutions, there had to be 3 variables/pieces of information, otherwise it was redundant or inconsistent depending on what you were given. I've yet to learn using determinants and the b-vector.
If you have 3 equations and 3 unknowns, such a system might have no solutions, 1 solution, or an infinite number of solutions. It can never have exactly three solutions. As a really simple example, here is a very simple system of 3 equation in 3 variables:
x = 2
y = 3
z = 5
This can be represented as a matrix equation in the form Ax = b, where A is
[tex]\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

and b is
[tex]\begin{bmatrix} 2 \\ 3 \\ 5 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

This system has one solution, not three; namely x = 2, y = 3, z = 5.

ivanyo said:
Any insight would be helpful - Thanks.

1. What is a square matrix?

A square matrix is a mathematical object that is represented as a table of numbers arranged in rows and columns. It has an equal number of rows and columns, and its size is denoted by the number of rows or columns it has. For example, a 3x3 matrix has 3 rows and 3 columns.

2. What are some common scenarios where square matrices are used?

Square matrices are commonly used in various fields of mathematics, such as linear algebra, statistics, and physics. They are also used in computer science, particularly in data analysis and machine learning algorithms.

3. What is a determinant in a square matrix?

The determinant of a square matrix is a number that is calculated from the entries of the matrix. It is used to measure certain properties of the matrix, such as whether it has an inverse or whether it is singular (non-invertible).

4. How are square matrices multiplied?

To multiply two square matrices, the number of columns in the first matrix must be equal to the number of rows in the second matrix. The product of the multiplication will be a new square matrix with the same number of rows and columns as the original matrices.

5. What are eigenvectors and eigenvalues in a square matrix?

Eigenvectors and eigenvalues are important concepts in linear algebra that are associated with square matrices. An eigenvector is a vector that, when multiplied by the matrix, results in a scalar multiple of itself. The corresponding scalar value is called an eigenvalue. These values and vectors are used in various applications, such as finding the principal components in data analysis or determining the stability of a system in physics.