1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Square Matrix Scenarios

1. Mar 6, 2012 #1
    Hi everyone,

I've been reading through my textbook for some guidance on this, but I have yet to find anything. The question asks to "describe the set of possible solutions when the following occur (assuming Ax=b). I've written my own knowledge in italics - however, I think they require an answer in terms of "no solution"/"# of unique solutions" or "infinite solutions".

(i) detA = 0, b = 0 (no inverse)
    (ii) detA ≠ 0, b = 0 (inverse possible)
    (iii) detA = 0, b ≠ 0 (no inverse)
    (iv) detA ≠ 0, b ≠ 0 (inverse possible)

The way I learnt was that if there was 3 solutions, there had to be 3 variables/pieces of information, otherwise it was redundant or inconsistent depending on what you were given. I've yet to learn using determinants and the b-vector.

Any insight would be helpful - Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

It's true that the matrix A doesn't have an inverse, but they're asking about the equation Ax = 0. Does this equation have a) no solutions, b) exactly 1 solutions, c) an infinite number of solutions?
    If det(A) ≠ 0, then A definitely has an inverse, so how many solutions does the equation Ax = 0 have?
    Again, how many solutions does the equation Ax = b have?
    As before, if det(A) ≠ 0, then A definitely has an inverse, so how many solutions does the equation Ax = b have?
    If you have 3 equations and 3 unknowns, such a system might have no solutions, 1 solution, or an infinite number of solutions. It can never have exactly three solutions. As a really simple example, here is a very simple system of 3 equation in 3 variables:
    x = 2
    y = 3
    z = 5
    This can be represented as a matrix equation in the form Ax = b, where A is
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

and b is
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix} 2 \\ 3 \\ 5 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

This system has one solution, not three; namely x = 2, y = 3, z = 5.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook