Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Square of 9

1. Jul 15, 2005 #1
    g'day everyone...
    i was wondering the significance of Mr Gann's square of nine, and how he could just find this "magical" thing and then apply it to the markets...

Also, what is the mathematics behind it? i've looked it up on google but it doesnt have anything about either of these...

Thanks

(p.s I attached a copy)

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2005 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Perhaps I'm totally way off here (I haven't heard about this Mr Gann), but as I know it, magic squares belong to what is often called "recreational mathematics".
    From what I know of it (practically nil, I'll admit), it is difficult to find any general patterns and links from the specialized lore of magic squares to other, more "important" areas of maths.

Of course, someone a lot more knowledgeable than myself ought to step in here, quash my dumb comments and provide OP with some real information.

4. Jul 15, 2005 #3
    I have no idea whatsoever is Mr Gann's square of 9, but i do know what a magic square is. I have seen it being used heavily in some Image Processing techniques, especially in some of the papers i have seen recently on Image Reconstruction. These squares have been largely used as a convolutional mask (mask size normally being around 5x5 to 9x9). None of these papers, seemed to have explained why they used these squares (the papers only dealt with the algorithm the author had to propose). My guess is that since these magic squares add up to same value in all directions, their convolution brings abt some neat pixel distribution in the image (which for some reason is mathematically inexplicable??).

Anyways, regardless, i have no idea how these magic squares would be used in any market analysis, unless the market has some sort of 2D distribution of data (like an image) and magic squares can be used to extrapolate some details out of it (speaking to himself by now ........ ).

-- AI

5. Jul 15, 2005 #4
    aricho: i was wondering the significance of Mr Gann's square of nine, and how he could just find this "magical" thing and then apply it to the markets...

This man was some kind of mysterious individual that shows up in the more mystical stock market publications....I have located his work at http://www.sacredscience.com/gann/

6. Jul 15, 2005 #5

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What I wonder is how it's different from 81. :smile: Okay, I am being a smartmouth...

7. Jul 15, 2005 #6
  8. Jul 16, 2005 #7
  9. Jul 16, 2005 #8

cronxeh

Gold Member

10. Jul 21, 2005 #9
    If such things were'nt scams they let you pay later out of your profits.
    They never do.

11. Jul 21, 2005 #10
    Antiphon: If such things were'nt scams they let you pay later out of your profits. They never do.

Man! What an idea! Just write and tell them you are an earnest young man with plenty of zeal and short on cash-at the moment-would they consider terms? Payments while I am making my profits? Then again, in the commodity market, you need to lay out thousands. How can you do that with no money?

I wonder if they would say, "No money, sir? Have you considered no-money-down real estate? That is the way to go!"

Last edited: Jul 21, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?