Is the Square of a Density Matrix Equal to the Density Matrix Itself?

In summary, the homework equation to prove is the square of the density matrix. This is done by assuming a complete orthonormal base and then computing the square of the matrix \rho. If the density matrix is normalized so that \langle r \vert r \rangle = 1, then the relation \rho^{2}=\vert r \rangle \langle r \vert r \rangle \langle r \vert is valid.
Mr confusion

Homework Statement

to prove : square of density matrix= the density matrix itself (for a pure ensemble)

Homework Equations

density matrix=sum over P(i) ket(i) bra(i) where Pi = probability that random chosen system from ensemble shows state i.
summed over i , where P=1 for pure ensemble

The Attempt at a Solution

i thought it is giving the identity matrix, whose square is also I , hence the proof. but i am not sure about this.:frown:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No, the density matrix is NOT in general the identity matrix! There are many matrices with the property that [itex]A^2= A[/itex].

then how will i prove it?

Mr confusion said:
then how will i prove it?

What are the P_i for a pure state?

Ok, first we assume that the set [tex] \left \lbrace \left| i \right \rangle \right \rbrace [/tex] forms a complete orthonormal base (otherwise if we have a general state [tex] \left| \psi \right \rangle [/tex] we have to expand it into such a base). Further we just deal with the discrete case, the continuous one can be done similarly.

If [tex] \rho = \sum_{i} \left| i \right \rangle \left \langle i \right| [/tex] is the density matrix, the square is simply given by:

[tex] \rho^{2} = \sum_{i,j} \left| i \right \rangle \langle i \vert j \rangle \left \langle j \right| [/tex]

Now we use [tex] \left \langle i \vert j \right \rangle = \delta_{ij} [/tex] and arrive at:

[tex] \rho^{2} = \sum_{i} \left| i \right \rangle \left \langle i \right| = \rho [/tex].

Count Iblis said:
What are the P_i for a pure state?
Pi for pure ensemble=1 since all are in same state, isn't it?

parton said:
Ok, first we assume that the set [tex] \left \lbrace \left| i \right \rangle \right \rbrace [/tex] forms a complete orthonormal base (otherwise if we have a general state [tex] \left| \psi \right \rangle [/tex] we have to expand it into such a base). Further we just deal with the discrete case, the continuous one can be done similarly.

If [tex] \rho = \sum_{i} \left| i \right \rangle \left \langle i \right| [/tex] is the density matrix, the square is simply given by:

[tex] \rho^{2} = \sum_{i,j} \left| i \right \rangle \langle i \vert j \rangle \left \langle j \right| [/tex]

Now we use [tex] \left \langle i \vert j \right \rangle = \delta_{ij} [/tex] and arrive at:

[tex] \rho^{2} = \sum_{i} \left| i \right \rangle \left \langle i \right| = \rho [/tex].

i can just say -'COOL.' MANY thanks.
...sorry, just one more thing
how can i just keep them side by side, i mean[tex]\rho[/tex] is a density matrix and to use it as a matrix i need to find its elements in some basis. how can i simply keep the abstract notation?

Last edited:
parton said:

This proof is wrong. What you've done is computing the square of the identity matrix which obviously is the identity matrix.

Mr confusion said:
Pi for pure ensemble=1 since all are in same state, isn't it?

No, for a pure state all the P_i are zero, except for one particular value of i (say i = r). So, the state is with certainty some particular state |r>.

Count Iblis said:
No, for a pure state all the P_i are zero, except for one particular value of i (say i = r). So, the state is with certainty some particular state |r>.
yes. i was wrong.
but does that mean there will be no summation?(for pure ensemble)
then how will i proceed?

Sorry, the proof is of course wrong, such ugly things should not happen, very embarrassing...

In the pure case there is indeed no summation and we end up with one certain state [tex] \vert r \rangle [/tex].

If this state is normed, i.e. [tex] \langle r \vert r \rangle = 1 [/tex] and your density matrix is [tex] \rho = \vert r \rangle \langle r \vert [/tex] than you have the (trivial) relation:

[tex] \rho^{2} = \vert r \rangle \langle r \vert r \rangle \langle r \vert = \vert r \rangle \langle r \vert = \rho [/tex]

parton, to err is human.
i learned from your mistake. that will not alter my belief that u are a genius. thanks very much for helping me.
doing mistakes is a regular job for confused people like me.:biggrin:

What is the "square of density matrix"?

The square of density matrix is a mathematical operation used in quantum mechanics to calculate the probability of finding a quantum system in a certain state. It is denoted by ρ², where ρ represents the density matrix.

How is the square of density matrix calculated?

The square of density matrix is calculated by multiplying the density matrix with itself. This can be done by first calculating the outer product of the density matrix with itself, and then taking the trace of the resulting matrix.

What is the physical significance of the square of density matrix?

The square of density matrix represents the probability of finding a quantum system in a certain state after two measurements. It can also be used to calculate the average value of an observable in a certain state.

What is the relationship between the square of density matrix and the density matrix?

The square of density matrix is related to the density matrix through the trace operation. The trace of the square of density matrix is equal to the trace of the density matrix squared. This relationship is important in calculating the expectation values of observables.

How is the square of density matrix used in quantum information theory?

The square of density matrix is used in quantum information theory to calculate the entanglement of a quantum system. It is also used in quantum error correction to analyze the effects of noise on a quantum system.