1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Square of Fourier series

1. Nov 26, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Evaluate following series:
    [tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{(4n^2-9)^2} [/tex]
    by finding the Fourier series for the [itex]2\pi[/itex]-periodic function
    [tex]f(x) =
    \begin{cases}
    sin(3x/2) & 0<x<\pi \\
    0 & otherwise
    \end{cases}
    [/tex]
    2. Relevant equations
    [tex]a_n = \frac{1}{\pi}\int_{-\pi}^{\pi} f(x)cos(nx)dx = -\frac{6}{\pi(4n^2-9)} [/tex]
    [tex]b_n = \frac{1}{\pi}\int_{-\pi}^{\pi} f(x)sin(nx)dx = \frac{4ncos(\pi n)}{\pi(4n^2-9)} [/tex]
    [tex]f(x) = \frac{1}{2}a_0 + \sum_{n=1}^\infty \left(a_ncos(nx)+b_nsin(nx)\right) \\ = \frac{1}{2}\frac{2}{3\pi} + \frac{1}{\pi}\sum_{n=1}^\infty \left( \frac{4ncos(\pi n)sin(nx)-6cos(nx)}{4n^2-9}\right)[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have found the Fourier series and evaluated 1/(4n^2-9) as it was the first part of this exercise. However, I am not sure how to evaluate it for the square. I figured I just needed to square the answer but it turns out it's that simple .

I found Parseval's formula in my book
    [tex] \frac{1}{\pi}\int_T |f(x)|^2dx = \frac{1}{2}|a_0|^2 + \sum_{n=1}^\infty (|a_n|^2+|b_n|^2) [/tex].
    which I tried using, but the [itex]b_n[/itex] term gives me an ugly expression in the numerator.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2014 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

[itex]b_n[/itex] should not be a function of [itex]x[/itex]. Take another look at it, and remember that [itex]\cos(\pm n\pi) = (-1)^n[/itex].

4. Nov 26, 2014 #3
    Oh yes, my mistake. I meant cos(pi n) not cos(xn).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted