Square of n factorial is greater than n to the power n

In summary, the conversation is about proving the inequality (n!)^2 > n^n for every natural number n. The participants discuss different approaches, including using the AM-GM inequality, Stirling's approximation, and an inductive proof. Ultimately, it is suggested to prove (n-k)(k+1) >= n for all k in [0,n-1] as a noninductive proof. The conversation also touches on a better approximation for n! and the derivation of Stirling's formula.
maverick280857
Hi

I need some help figuring out how to do this problem:

Prove that for every natural number n, [tex](n!)^{2} > n^n[/tex]

By rewriting this as
[tex](n!)^{\frac{1}{n}} > \sqrt{n}[/tex]
I can see that I have to prove that given a sequence of natural numbers {1, 2, 3, ..., n}, the geometric mean of n numbers of this sequence is greater than the geometric mean of its extreme terms, i.e. 1 and n. I get stuck however, when I attempt a noninductive proof (even an inductive proof for that matter involves handling binomial expressions which are large but it is perhaps still possible). I don't see how to go on now that I have the rearranged inequality even though in its present form and significance, it looks pretty obvious.

I would be grateful if someone could offer a suggestion to help me analyze this.

Thanks and cheers
Vivek

Mathematics news on Phys.org
How about trying a proof by induction?

If you do that then I think it reduces to proving
[tex]\frac { \left(1 + \frac {1}{n}\right)^n}{n+1} \leq 1[/tex]

Hello Tide

I've got to do it noninductively :-)

Cheers
Vivek

Just a thought - don't have time now to look at this closely - but what is the nature of the error in Stirling's approximation (log(n!) ~ nlogn-n) ? You could look into this...

I'll take a guess too: If you take a look at the Stirling series you should be able to pull out a formula that's guraenteed to give an approximation greater than or less than the actual value.

Stirling won't work if he has to prove it for all natural numbers.

It is not true for 1 or 2 anyway. 3 is the first integer it is true for. Sterling's formula says: n! approximately [tex] \frac{\sqrt(2n\pi)*n^n}{e^n}[/tex].This should help.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your help. I would like to point out however, that this problem is from a book called Higher Algebra by Hall and Knight (chapter on Inequalities). As the stirling approximation has not been mentioned in the theory sections, I believe the authors expect students to solve it some other way.

Thanks and cheers
Vivek

well just lookinbg at it, the lhs is being multiplied by n^2 each time you go from the case for n-1 to the case for n, and the rhs is being multiplied by an element of a sequence that converges to en. so the lhs is obviously increasing much faster.

Here's another quick suggestion. This one may go nowhere too :

Consider the numbers 1, 2, 3, ..., n. Use the AM > GM inequality on them. See if that goes anywhere(or even 1^2, 2^2, 3^2, ..., n^2). Looks to me like the inequalities might point the wrong way...uh oh ! :confused:

Last edited:
1) Hall and Knight seem to use > to mean greater than or equal to

2)
maverick280857 said:
I can see that I have to prove that given a sequence of natural numbers {1, 2, 3, ..., n}, the geometric mean of n numbers of this sequence is greater than the geometric mean of its extreme terms, i.e. 1 and n. I get stuck however, when I attempt a noninductive proof

So if you can prove n*1>=n, (n-1)*2>=n and so on then that will do it.

maverick280857 said:
I've got to do it noninductively :-)

That sucks... what's wrong with an inductive proof?

chronon said:
So if you can prove n*1>=n, (n-1)*2>=n and so on then that will do it.

Ha ha, simple as that ! :smile:

Just prove : (n-k)(k+1) >= n for all k in [0,n-1].

Nice ! :smile:

Now I feel like heading into the nearest wall. : :cry:

Hello everyone

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I have it figured out now :-)

Well, there's nothing wrong with an inductive proof but you cannot say that induction is the nicest way to do things. I mean there's got to be a "formal" proof or a better looking noninductive proof. If I could do things two ways, I'd prefer a noninductive proof because I need to put my mind more into it. Normally induction just involves using the proposition for k to prove it for (k+1).

Thanks anyway.

Cheers
Vivek

robert Ihnot said:
It is not true for 1 or 2 anyway. 3 is the first integer it is true for. Sterling's formula says: n! approximately [tex] \frac{\sqrt(2n\pi)*n^n}{e^n}[/tex].This should help.

As a side note there is a better approximation of n! :

[√ (2nπ)]*nn*e-n+(1/12n) (1)

Stirling formula can be deduced from a formula (attributed to Euler) where an infinite series of a function in x is approximated by its integral (integral from f(t)dt,between 0 and 'x')+a series of factors depending on the derivatives of the function+a residue.In our case after taking the logarithm from n! this function is f(x)=lnx.If I remember well only the first derivatives and the rest of the first order are considered,the other terms are ignored.The residue of order 1 is demonstrated to converge at a certain finite limit C.I do not remember it exactly but the fact is that finally results (1).Stirling's formula results directly from there by ignoring the factor (1/12n).

Last edited:

1. How do you prove that the square of n factorial is greater than n to the power n?

To prove this statement, we can use mathematical induction. First, we will show that the statement is true for n = 1. Then, we will assume that the statement is true for some arbitrary positive integer k. Using this assumption, we can show that the statement is also true for k + 1. Therefore, with the base case and the inductive step, we have proven that the statement is true for all positive integers n.

2. Can you provide a real-life example to illustrate this concept?

One example of this concept is the number of ways you can arrange a deck of playing cards. The number of possible arrangements is n factorial, which is greater than n to the power n. This is because the number of ways to arrange the deck is much larger than the number of cards in the deck (n).

3. Is it possible for the square of n factorial to be equal to n to the power n?

No, it is not possible for the square of n factorial to be equal to n to the power n. This is because n factorial is always a larger number than n to the power n. As n gets larger, the difference between these two values also gets larger.

4. What is the significance of this concept in mathematics?

This concept is significant because it shows that the factorial function grows much faster than the exponential function. This is important in many areas of mathematics, including combinatorics, probability, and number theory.

5. Can this concept be extended to other mathematical functions?

Yes, this concept can be extended to other mathematical functions. For example, the factorial function grows faster than the logarithmic function, the polynomial function, and many others. This concept can also be applied to different types of factorials, such as double factorials and superfactorials.